IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Norwich Parking Enforcement and Enterprise hire car

Options
Hi all,

Last week I stayed at a hotel in Norwich, parked in their carpark overnight, and received a bill for £100 from Norwich Parking Enforcement (reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days).

The parking was signed as 1 space free for hotel guests per room, otherwise above charges apply, and (in much smaller letters) guests needed to register the car reg. with the hotel. I didn't see the sign until after I'd received the ticket. The email booking my inlaws (who'd booked the hotel) received also said to register the car with the hotel, but as I arrived after they'd gone to bed they didn't pass the message on until it was too late.

If it were my car I'd appeal (given I was entitled to park there), but what's the best cause of action given it was an Enterprise hire car? I don't want Enterprise to pay the invoice on my behalf, then chase me for that plus an admin fee.

The Enterprise rental agreement refers to them paying 'fines and court costs', plus 'reasonable admin fee' (i.e. no mention of parking invoices) - but how does it work in practice? I'd also rather not end up on a hire car black-list for being a difficult customer, or ruin my credit rating.

Many thanks!

Rob

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No-one can ruin your credit rating without first taking you to court and winning.

The simplest way to get this away from Enterprise is to write to NPE telling them that you were the hirer of the vehicle (not driver, hirer). The parking scum might still pursue Enterprise though since they regard hire companies as easy money, so you should also write to Enterprise, copying them on what you've sent to NPE. Point out to Enterprise that the wording of the rental agreement does not cover speculative invoices from private companies, that you expressly refuse them permission to make any charge against your card relating to such an invoice, and that any such charge will be reported to the card company as an unauthorised transaction.

As for a hire car black list, I've never heard of such a thing, but supposing it did exist, what are you going to do? Roll over like some spineless jellyfish and pay NPE's trumped-up fake ticket and Enterprise's ludicrous admin fees?

Have you complained to the hotel? Left them a stinking review on TripAdvisor? If not, why not?
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to appeal this straight away with NPE as the 'keeper' (subtle difference between keeper and Registered Keeper). This way NPE won't be contacting the hire company.

In parallel you need to write to the hire company and make it clear you will be dealing with this and should they receive any correspondence from NPE they must pass it to you. Check your agreement with them re admin charges. They're likely to have a clause linked to fines/penalty charges, which your PCN from NPE is definitely NOT. But do check out that agreement.

In terms of your appeal, please read and follow the NEWBIES sticky at the top of the forum index.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Bazster's using his turbo-typing finger tonight, so has just beat me to it. Essentially we are saying the same thing.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last flurry before the land of Nod! I don't have C-M's stamina for early-hours-of the-morning posting!
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    And I just didn't get there fast enough or it would have been me saying it!
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • Nameless_Rob
    Options
    Hi,

thanks for the replies - I will get on with appealing asap.

Re. bazster's question. The hotel currently has 2-star average on trip advisor, and 101 of 202 reviews are 1 star.
    My father-in-law, who did register his car with the hotel, received two parking tickets. When he complained at reception, and showed the receptionist his text, she threw his phone on the floor - after that, I wasn't going to waste my breath complaining.

Rob
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Nice hotel by the sound of it. When are you next staying there? :rotfl:

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I hoe your father in law is appealing his PCNs too!

As for the hotel well...
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Re. bazster's question. The hotel currently has 2-star average on trip advisor, and 101 of 202 reviews are 1 star.
    My father-in-law, who did register his car with the hotel, received two parking tickets. When he complained at reception, and showed the receptionist his text, she threw his phone on the floor - after that, I wasn't going to waste my breath complaining.

Rob

So how do you think the hotel got such a poor rating? It's because some people made the effort to rate it, that's how.

So you get a stroppy receptionist, and that's it? You can't be bothered? Well if you're not bothered nor am I, I'm out.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi,

Rob

Maybe you should have and while you are at it name the hotel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family