How much do you spend on food?

How much do you spend on food for one person each week? The reason I'm curious is that there's a thread on the Debt Free Wannabee forum 'Confused, concerned and not sure what to do', which I've made a contribution to, which contains posts from people who say they spend £12.50 or £8.00 weekly on food for one person. One poster claims to spend £43 every 6 weeks on food for themselves and two children!
Can anyone on this board match that? I certainly couldn't and wouldn't want to and I wondered what other people thought was a sensible amount of money to spend on food each week for one person.
I think if the nursing homes that my elderly parents are in told me they spend as little as £12.50 a week on their food I'd be having a very serious word with the coulcil's nursing and residential homes inspector.

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    One poster claims to spend £43 every 6 weeks on food for themselves and two children!
    Can anyone on this board match that? I certainly couldn't and wouldn't want to
    I'm afraid I only get £120 a week and thats to cover all my expenses. So I'm afraid its not a case of wanting to but a case of having to. And for that we eat 3 meals a day and also a pudding. If you budgeted properly you could do it too.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • I'm sorry, I couldn't feed myself on £6.16 a week but I'd be interested to know exactly how you manage it.
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    i managed 10pounds a week when i was really REALLY hard up as a student. but it was horrible and i ended up going home every fortnight for proper food.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It works out cheaper per head to feed more people than one if you know what I mean.

Doing a meal planner and using up stuff in cupboards and freezer etc helps as does buying from local markets etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Karnam
    here's a little break down of a typical shopping list.

own brand soup mixed with pasta to make it more filling eaten 4 times in the week. ice berg lettuce used to make 3 salads, with half a cucumber, fried onions and chicken thighs. chinese branded pot noodle type things eaten 6 times a week, at around 20p a go. one bag of oranges to last the whole week for breakfast - one pound. one big pot of yoghurt (own brand) to eat with orange for breaskfast - one pound. one jar of own brand pasta sauce to last all week 30p. big bottle of squash (lasts around 2 weeks) own brand 80p. GIANT bag of pasta around 60p a week.

i prob didnt get all my vits or anything but i only had to live like this for 3 months before i moved back home for the summer. i went home every fortnight for a proper meal and when i found out i was pregnant i ate a lot better than this. i also would have the token free meal courtesy of the Christian Society (not cause im christian but cause my friend was treasurer and i would go along to keep up the numbers)

its horrible and disgusting and i hated it. but it is possible.
  • bonnie_2
    bonnie_2 Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    for example toad in the hole 49p value sausages, plus pots veg and gravy.
    value mince about 90p
    4 gammon steaks £2
    roast chicken £4 does at least 3 meals.
    value everything if you cook from scratch you dont need nearly as much meat as you think a portion is only 3oz and bulk it out with veg, pulses etc.
    also i use coupons and only shop from a list. i plan meals for seven days and only buy what i need. most people just whizz round asda flinging junk food, crisps, chocolate and all sorts into their trolley i have seen them do it.
    by the time they have chucked in clothes, mags ,presents, booze and anything else it could easily come to £100.
    i dont think i could spend £100 if i tried, i refuse to but anything in a packet even make my own bread,cakes and jam.
    also make my own cards, presents and toiletries.
    it just needs forward planning.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well said, I do all that and thanks I picked up some tips there :xmassign:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Karnam
    yea my break down sounds really unhealthy compared to bonnie's break down!!!

i live with my OH's family and a weekly shopping bill here is around 200 :eek: pounds!! and they eat really well, tescos finest etc.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Here are the typical types of meals eaten in my house:

Breakfast: Branflakes/porridge/Toast (wholegrain bread only)OJ or Apple Juice

Lunch: Sandwich/Toasted sandwiches/Something on toast/Soups both homade and tinned/Bacon, egg and beans. If soup not already had then a cup a soup and a piece of fresh fruit. And a packet of crisp (husband only and not everyday)

Evening Meal: Spag Bog with a small Salad/Steamed veg with leftover meat or veggie sausages or pork chops and gravy/once a week Salmon and salad/Home cooked gammon with mash and peas. Dessert fresh or tinned fruit with custard or rice pudding once or twice a week.

Supper for husband (needs to gain weight)Same as breakfast.

Weekend meals tend to be a bit more lax and sandwiches and things on toast tend to be eaten. And the odd treat of a box of jaffa cakes.

Sunday Lunch is either a chicken pieces or a Joint which means left overs for the week and one extra meals worth. Dessert is rice pudding or baked apples with custard. Make cakes/scones/flapjack for husband to take to work.

To drink we have milk/Juice/Various types of herbal tea/coffee/Squash/Hot chocolate.

I buy fresh fruit and Veg (apples/cabbage/Lettuce/Cucumbers/Strawberries in the summer) from a greengrocers once a week rest of veg is frozen. 25Kg bag of potatoes not sure of price as my father would not let me pay the last time :mad: But last for a long time.

I assume that is ok for meals for a two adults one male and one female. I would say no starvation. And lots of wholegrains and fruit and veg. More than most people

well drumroll please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£80-£100 a month. Buying food the least mucked about is best. Tends to be a lot cheaper then buying ready meals. Granted we don't eat a lot of meat and that may well change. Once we get a bigger freezer. But don't expect it to add much to the cost per month.

I do buy a few value labels but very few. Use BOGOF's and few vouchers to get a bit of money off my shopping. But I think we eat well and it does not have to cost a lot of money.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Dora

there's a previous discussion on budgeting HERE which might give you some helpful hints. There are also links in the mega index under the shopping section.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport