PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Budgeting Tips

Options
Not sure if anything like this has been posted as i'm still a newbie.

But i read alot of posts about being able to budget a weekley shop for about £10 a person etc of £25 for the week for a family. I'm not if it just me and i'm naughty when i go round the shop but i can never seem to get it under £40 and then i still run out of stuff.i go to the local shop nearly every day and buy 4 pints of milk as my 2 year old loves it. and not gonna discourage that.

i'd be so grateful for any tips on how to do a shop for so little. i have 2 children one is 2 and the other 15 weeks. we do love our food and have quite big appetites.but i'm a fab cook. so i can make something from nothing. but by the time i've bought wipes , nappies , loo roll , washing up liquid , toothpaste etc my bill seems to be big. i do buy loads of value items ( i shop in tesco ) and i buy my washing powder bulk. a box for £14 lasts about 6 months.

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you check the Shopping section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style forum you'll find quite a few threads listed under "budget" that you can browse for ideas and hints, along with a host of other shopping related threads.

Just remember not to make things too hard for yourself and to stay within your own comfort level. Small changes, one at a time until you get used to them, are the best way to go. That way you're not likely to run into difficulties too often and then get discouraged and give up.

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Avogirly
    Avogirly Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    What about cheaper shops like Wilko's or (I think it's called) Super Saver, Aldi, Lidl?
    October make £10/day currently £11.02
  • Alfietinker
    Options
    Oh dear, feel guilty now. I spend £40 a week on 2 of us, so you must be doing something right!

You seem to have the food sorted, could you use washable nappies? I've heard these are cheaper, but not having kids I dont know how it works out with washing machine costs.

We stock up on Value UHT skimmed milk. I can't tell the difference although I don't drink it on its own.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, value loo paper. It only goes down the drain!
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    unfortunalty i live on the isle of wight so we don't have shop's such as wilkco , savers . although i think a lidl is supposed to be opening soon. and to get a ferry across the solent would cost about £30-£40 so it doesn't make sense to travel.

i'm not sure about disposbile nappies as both my children have sensitive skin.

already buy value loo roll. 16 rolls for £1.60 bargin.i do buy the uht milk and use it for custard , angel delight , tea etc etc. but for my daugther she needs normal milk for the extra calcium. but yes uht is fantastic stuff.i buy loads of value baked beans as they can bulk up a shepards pie , etc. also so can grated carrot then my daughter doesn't know she eating it. and baked beans go with jacket spud for a cheap nutrious meal.

i will definatly look in the other section mentioned. and thankyou guys/gals for all your very helpful posts.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wipes are expensive, but convenient when out and about. When you're at home you can save money by buying a few cheap flannels and water, or using cotton wool. Buy cotton wool from the toiletries dept, as anything with Baby written on seems to cost more!

Buying food and cooking from scratch is a lot cheaper than convenience foods. Read through past threads for loads of tips for making food go further or making meals cheaply. eg: for a family of 4, a medium roast chicken would make us a 1 x roast dinner with nice slices of meat, 2 x other meals like Chinese or curry made with the bits, and then I'd boil the bones to make soup/broth!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yeah, value loo paper. It only goes down the drain!
    I disagree. Value loo rolls have so much less on each roll and the absorbency is so poor that you end up using twice as much. Much better to stockpile branded loo roll whenever somebody has it on BOGOF (and don't forget to keep any coupons that come with them!). Probably works out just as cheap and, um, easier on the bum, but might be a problem if you live in a tiny flat with no storage space.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    Wipes are expensive, but convenient when out and about. When you're at home you can save money by buying a few cheap flannels and water, or using cotton wool. Buy cotton wool from the toiletries dept, as anything with Baby written on seems to cost more!

Buying food and cooking from scratch is a lot cheaper than convenience foods. Read through past threads for loads of tips for making food go further or making meals cheaply. eg: for a family of 4, a medium roast chicken would make us a 1 x roast dinner with nice slices of meat, 2 x other meals like Chinese or curry made with the bits, and then I'd boil the bones to make soup/broth!
    I used to work in a chemists and we used to sell 'household quality cotton wool as opposed to 'best'and it was always good enough for my little ones butts,mind you I am a scots-jew and we are known to be a bit 'canny' I can't see the point in buying 'wipes when cotton wool and luke warm water does the same job at a fraction of the price.
    I am amazed at times at the amount of money that young mums spend on things just because it has 'baby' written on it.
    Still I guess 'fools and their money are soon parted'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport