Ombudsman says no help with citi cards

Options
Hi..I know its a bit late in the day…I wondered if there had been any positive developments from anyone with the Associates/Citi/Opus etc etc ppi recovery saga!!
I have been a victim of the above...try not to bore you! (I keep diaries going back to 80s so have a fair amount of detail especially my previous financial activities)
I applied for the Associates credit card in April 2000 it seems they had included ppi..I wrote to them in the May2000 to cancel the ppi. I didn’t have a record of them getting back to me! I sadly dont have any old Associates statements now but do have Citi statements from around 2004. Meanwhile in May/June 2003 Associates became Citi..according to my notes Associates business was automatically transferred to the Citi card. I have absolutely no detail/knowledge/memory of applying for the Citi card. The years following I found the ppi included on all statements from Citi, I assumed it was a company requirement so took it no further.
Coming forward to 2012/13 when the nationwide mis sold ppi came to light, I made the recommended requests to Citi by post and phone. This went on for many many weeks, Citi suggested they couldn't help me and passed me over to Opus who had taken over from Citi in 2010. Opus did acknowledge I’d had a card from 2000 but went on to tell me that I would have ticked the ppi box on the Citi card application form!!!?...I questioned to no avail, several letters back and forth to Opus went nowhere.
I wrote to the FOS July 2013 who then suggested I'd been sold the Citi ppi before Jan 2005 and insurance regulations changed after that date!!..this complicated matters even more so for me…I was by now becoming very tired and loosing the will………..didn't have time or inclination to go further. That’s were I am now.
Best regards to all.

B

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Comments

• maggy50
    maggy50 Posts: 783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wowsah100 wrote: »
    Hi..I know its a bit late in the day…I wondered if there had been any positive developments from anyone with the Associates/Citi/Opus etc etc ppi recovery saga!!
    I have been a victim of the above...try not to bore you! (I keep diaries going back to 80s so have a fair amount of detail especially my previous financial activities)
    I applied for the Associates credit card in April 2000 it seems they had included ppi..I wrote to them in the May2000 to cancel the ppi. I didn’t have a record of them getting back to me! I sadly dont have any old Associates statements now but do have Citi statements from around 2004. Meanwhile in May/June 2003 Associates became Citi..according to my notes Associates business was automatically transferred to the Citi card. I have absolutely no detail/knowledge/memory of applying for the Citi card. The years following I found the ppi included on all statements from Citi, I assumed it was a company requirement so took it no further.
    Coming forward to 2012/13 when the nationwide mis sold ppi came to light, I made the recommended requests to Citi by post and phone. This went on for many many weeks, Citi suggested they couldn't help me and passed me over to Opus who had taken over from Citi in 2010. Opus did acknowledge I’d had a card from 2000 but went on to tell me that I would have ticked the ppi box on the Citi card application form!!!?...I questioned to no avail, several letters back and forth to Opus went nowhere.
    I wrote to the FOS July 2013 who then suggested I'd been sold the Citi ppi before Jan 2005 and insurance regulations changed after that date!!..this complicated matters even more so for me…I was by now becoming very tired and loosing the will………..didn't have time or inclination to go further. That’s were I am now.
    Best regards to all.

B

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I had exactly the same after a prolonged complaint to Citi and subsequent FOS ruling where they stated my associates account was one a and the same of citi card taken before pre regulation ie 1999 , leaving me to prove that these accounts were not linked.
    This was proven recently when CPP complaints were being dealt with .
    Citi wrote to me and indicated in their letter that Associates was a different issue to Citi so I challenged them about my PPI and they wrote stating their position was unchanged .
    Ten days letter I had a letter from the PPI dept and they had looked into my account and decided to pay me plus over £2.4k added interest over the usual terms of redress , I had a very valid claim and was elated and angry that the FOS did not look into my complaint fairly and allowed CIti to basically hoodwink them .
    Light travels faster than sound.

This is why some people seem as bright until you hear them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wrote to the FOS July 2013 who then suggested I'd been sold the Citi ppi before Jan 2005 and insurance regulations changed after that date!

Almost correct. Insurance regulation did not start until January 2005 (not changed - there were virtually no regulations prior to that date). Some firms, mainly banks, were members of earlier bodies and they have to consider pre-regulation complaints but where that is not the case, a firm can reject sales prior to January 2005 as being pre-regulation. The FOS has no remit if the firm was not regulated (or a member of an earlier body) prior to Jan 2005.

The above assumes that the firms are giving correct info. maggy50 suggests that they may not be.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wowsah100
    Options
    Many thanks "Maggy50" and "dunstonh" for your replies..I may just try to pick up where I left off..
  • wowsah100
    Options
    Hi again
    Can anyone tell me if my new Citi ppi recovery complaints are still directed to
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Canada Square Operations
    PO Box 4903
    Worthing
    BN99 3AR
    Many thanks again

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing