Non-disclosure of disability on Occupational Health questionaire

Options
1235»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Also an appraisal is just that, an appraisal. I wouldn't take it too seriously as they bear little weight.
    Of course they do! People are dismissed as a result of appraisals that are poor. That's quite a lot of weight!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I've always assumed, a bit like parents evening, that you should have at least an inkling of what's going to be discussed in your appraisal & would be a little taken back if nothing was mentioned prior
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In my experience most organisations have clear guidelines regarding what should be covered in appraisals and what should be dealt with prior to or after. Check any relevant documentation or HR for it, and couch your response with reference to any clear guidelines - depersonalise any verbal or written response as much as possible.

Useful page by Unison on appraisals v disciplinary procedures.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Ella_fella
    Options
    A few weeks ago during my annual appraisal my line manager warned me that a member of staff had made a complaint against myself for their perception that during a conversation with them where they had raised a work issue I had allegedly not taken this complaint seriously and in their eyes made a joke of the situation.

My line manager went on to say that the individual making the accusation wanted to remain anonymous, and for this reason refused to elaborate more on the nature, content and timing of the conversation meaning I was unable to defend myself or provide any personal insight.

At the end of the appraisal my line manager, as a summary of my last 6 months performance, made a great point of highlighting this allegation. At the time I signed the appraisal to say that I had received the feedback given, however over the subsequent 2 weeks I became more and more unhappy that my previous 6 months good performance had been overlooked and an anonymous allegation which I was unable to even discuss with my manager had become the negative highlight of this period.

I subsequently put a calendar invitation into my line manager's diary to discuss this allegation and the overall reflection it had on my performance to try to resolve this issue but they rejected my meeting request stating that they were too busy and would discuss when they had more time.That was 3 weeks ago and they have still not intimated when,or if, they will reconvene this meeting to resolve the points I made.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to handle this situation going forward?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ask them again for a meeting?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Attila_the_Bun
    Options
    I guess your manager must have a manager, can you copy them in on your request for a meeting, so there's less chance of being fobbed off?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For how long can someone be classed as a "Newbie. Be especially nice" ?
    If they keep popping up with the same question as new users......can I just be my normal niceness without venturing into especially?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Ella_fella wrote: »
    A few weeks ago during my annual appraisal my line manager warned me that a member of staff had made a complaint against myself for their perception that during a conversation with them where they had raised a work issue I had allegedly not taken this complaint seriously and in their eyes made a joke of the situation.

My line manager went on to say that the individual making the accusation wanted to remain anonymous, and for this reason refused to elaborate more on the nature, content and timing of the conversation meaning I was unable to defend myself or provide any personal insight.

At the end of the appraisal my line manager, as a summary of my last 6 months performance, made a great point of highlighting this allegation. At the time I signed the appraisal to say that I had received the feedback given, however over the subsequent 2 weeks I became more and more unhappy that my previous 6 months good performance had been overlooked and an anonymous allegation which I was unable to even discuss with my manager had become the negative highlight of this period.

I subsequently put a calendar invitation into my line manager's diary to discuss this allegation and the overall reflection it had on my performance to try to resolve this issue but they rejected my meeting request stating that they were too busy and would discuss when they had more time.That was 3 weeks ago and they have still not intimated when,or if, they will reconvene this meeting to resolve the points I made.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to handle this situation going forward?
    I'm concerned that it doesn't seem to matter how often you get answered, you just start another thread and then look for an answer more to your liking. Have you considered telling us what it is that your want us to say, and see whether that gets you the answer you want?

Look, this really is simple. You cannot have it all ways. You may have a disability which explains a sometimes erratic response to situations. That's fine. So tell your employer - and more to the point, you probably need to tell your colleagues so that they can take account of it. Or your disability doesn't have this effect, in which case your response to something a colleague said to you was perceived to be inappropriate to them, and to such an extent that they are actually worried about what you might do if you find out they reported it. Which suggests that "inappropriate" may be the thin edge of a wedge, and there are greater concerns about your relationships with your colleagues. And you compounded this by putting an appointment in your managers diary - that is not the way to handle such matters. And what do you want to say? It isn't fair? You demand to know who reported it? You are just digging bigger holes. Keep on making more and more of this and it'll end up blown up even lager and then you'll really have a problem. It's a footnote in history. One way or another, make sure that it doesn't happen again - either by explaining yourself so that people don't take you amiss, or by being more careful with colleagues concerns. Then you can stop fixating on it - because that is what you are doing - and making it into a bigger issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure