PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I already a 'home owner'?

Options
This might sound like a stupid question but, 15 years ago, my parents bought a holiday cottage and put the deeds in mine and my siblings' names, to avoid inheritance tax. But we've never had anything to do with the cottage, never seen any documents, make no decisions or financial inputs to upkeep etc. It's ours purely in name

Now I'm about to apply for a share ownership property and I'm wondering if this will preclude me from being eligible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
M

Comments

• Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    How old were you at the time?

Under 18’s cannot own property, but they could have set it up as a trust fund
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are registered as the part-owner at the Land Registry ("deeds" died out many years ago), then you are a part-owner of a house. There is no "purely in name".

If the shared-ownership scheme prohibits people who already (part-)own property, then - yes - you are barred.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2017 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Reminds me of another similar thread recently.

Funny how these dodges come back to bite! Your parents used you (your name) as a way to avoid tax. Now you will lose out on a benefit you could otherwise have received.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73551320#post73551320
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Funny how these dodges come back to bite! Your parents used you (your name) as a way to avoid tax. Now you will lose out on a benefit you could otherwise have received.

Especially when the people usually making these decisions (the parents) are not the ones who will ever have to pay IHT on these assets!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure