Tariff quest

Options
Are there any tariffs (both gas and electricity) for senior citizens? My 90 year old mother has recently been widowed and the tariff she is on will run out this month. Can I put her details into the MSE search as I have already put mine in?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    no special tariffs for OAPs although stuff like warm home discount is available if you qualify, together with the winter fuel allowance which is £300 for a single pensioner household if she's over 80.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You will need to use another email address and setup a new account to use MSE Cheap Energy Club.
    Or use another good price comparison site like the Citizens Advice Bureau https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't forget to notify Council to get the 25% Council Tax reduction.

Do you have POA ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 December 2017 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Are there any tariffs (both gas and electricity) for senior citizens? My 90 year old mother has recently been widowed and the tariff she is on will run out this month. Can I put her details into the MSE search as I have already put mine in?

I do not know of any energy supplier that discriminates on age :)

Let your mother know she is able to apply for whatever the cheapest tariff for her is :money:
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FullForce wrote: »
    I do not know of any energy supplier that discriminates on age :)

Let your mother know she is able to apply for whatever the cheapest tariff for her is :money:

In fact energy suppliers do discriminate on age as well as on families with very young children in the form of the Priority Services Register. But that doesn't get a lower tariff.

The problem for some older people and others are those who get warm home discount. They will likely be held on higher cost tariffs that provide WHD because cheaper tariffs don't provide WHD. When looking at savings such people need savings exceeding the £140 WHD which they will lose if they switch to a supplier which doesn't provide WHD. MSE cheap energy club has the edge here because the comparisons filter includes WHD. So only those suppliers which provide WHD are listed.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2017 at 12:12AM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    no special tariffs for OAPs although stuff like warm home discount is available if you qualify, together with the winter fuel allowance which is £300 for a single pensioner household if she's over 80.
    I only wish it was £300 Matelo, The Tories reduced it down to £200 pretty quick when they got in power.
    Still £200 is a nice little chunk..mine went on 20 bottles of Scotch from Sainsburys when they had their £10 a bottle offers on sale last month
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are over 80 and live alone its £300
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income