Letter from collection agency for debt that is not mine

Options
2»

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this not better addressed in the Debt Forum..?

And is it Lowell by any chance? I've been getting similar from them and they do seem to be cropping-up a fair bit recently.
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Yes,it is Lowell. Sorry, didn't mean to post in wrong section.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • pogofish
    Options
    OK, there are a few good threads here you should read, :)
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    I've found the template for the Prove It letter. Since this is not my debt,I can just send that to them,right?

Hopefully that will be the end of it.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • pogofish
    Options
    Its a start, yes but no they may not stop, so you might have to escalate further. When they tracked down my number and started phoning me, I needed to escalate further - and its still in progress.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Pennydropped

There's some good advice above. I would also say that sending the sample letter is a good idea. It refers Lowell to the Financial Conduct Authority's Consumer Credit sourcebook rules. The bottom line is they have to prove the debt is yours or stop pursuing you. If they don't you do this you have grounds to complain, and if you need to, that complaint can be taken on to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) to investigate.

It's a good idea to send the letter by recorded delivery so you have proof Lowell received it. If you have any further problems you'll find this is a common issue on the debt free wannabe board and you can get lots more advice there. I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure