£20k EDF bill out of the blue! They haven't taken a reading since 2013

Options
Chamellow
Chamellow Posts: 6 Forumite
Hoping someone can help, EDF attempted to take £20k as their direct debit, after phone calls back and forth, and providing a meter reading I was shocked to find it wasn't a mistake, and that the last reading they took was in 2013, they had estimated since, and estimated incorrectly.

They now want £20,000 asap. They are willing to set up a payment plan of 25% then the rest over 12 months.
They will not reduce the bill at all, or take any responsibility for the bill being large and unexpected.

Even though I'm sure we set up a new contract before in Sept last year, and I was told I was now on a really good deal/tariff, they are saying yes I was put on a new deal in Sept, but actually its not a good deal at all, and they cannot backdate any deal on the rate either, so I am paying 15.41 ppu for this whole bill backdating 4yrs, and that I HAVE to sign up to a new RECOVERY deal/tariff until the debt is paid off, which increases my ppu to 15.67 for all future usage too.

The guy in billing seemed to think I could negotiate a deal/tariff with the instalments team, which would bring the bill down dramatically.
I was also told by billing that I should have been contacted by a Higher Billing Department for a large bill like this, but checking the system that hasn't been done.

I have paid £2k over the phone, as they pretty much demanded that instantly, but want the rest of the 25% by Friday.

I need to know if there is any help available, or if they are right in everything, and I have no way of reducing that bill, and that I have to go onto their recovery tariff, which seems to be very high unit rate.

This is a Small Business, seasonal selling sweets & holiday gifts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as the way things are going myself and my staff will be out of a job as this just isn't possible to do at such short notice.

Many thanks,

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chamellow wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help, EDF attempted to take £20k as their direct debit, after phone calls back and forth, and providing a meter reading I was shocked to find it wasn't a mistake, and that the last reading they took was in 2013, they had estimated since, and estimated incorrectly.

They now want £20,000 asap. They are willing to set up a payment plan of 25% then the rest over 12 months.
    They will not reduce the bill at all, or take any responsibility for the bill being large and unexpected.

Even though I'm sure we set up a new contract before in Sept last year, and I was told I was now on a really good deal/tariff, they are saying yes I was put on a new deal in Sept, but actually its not a good deal at all, and they cannot backdate any deal on the rate either, so I am paying 15.41 ppu for this whole bill backdating 4yrs, and that I HAVE to sign up to a new RECOVERY deal/tariff until the debt is paid off, which increases my ppu to 15.67 for all future usage too.

The guy in billing seemed to think I could negotiate a deal/tariff with the instalments team, which would bring the bill down dramatically.
    I was also told by billing that I should have been contacted by a Higher Billing Department for a large bill like this, but checking the system that hasn't been done.

I have paid £2k over the phone, as they pretty much demanded that instantly, but want the rest of the 25% by Friday.

I need to know if there is any help available, or if they are right in everything, and I have no way of reducing that bill, and that I have to go onto their recovery tariff, which seems to be very high unit rate.

This is a Small Business, seasonal selling sweets & holiday gifts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as the way things are going myself and my staff will be out of a job as this just isn't possible to do at such short notice.

Many thanks,

If you owe them the money, don't you think you should pay it?

Get pushing those penny chews. Good luck!
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you not notice that you weren't paying leccy bills or that the the bills were estimated?

You can't just blame the supplier if you didn't put any effort into checking bills, meters and payments.

If you are or were a small business then hopefully you'd have a better hold on your business paperwork than you have with your energy.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Chamellow
    Options
    Well that's rude?! I'm not saying not to pay it, I am asking if I should have to pay so much in one go, and if I can negotiate a deal on the tariff.

I don't believe I have said once that I won't pay it, or how to not pay it?

I have asked on advice to reduce the bill, and whether I have to sign up to their Recovery tariff, which is very high.

Also any other advice on the situation? Not sure where you've got your idea from? Also I know for a fact this is not what this forums ethos is, the ethos is to help each other, and give friendly advice.
  • Chamellow
    Options
    They actually reduced my direct debit, I had it set at £400 they lowered it after an actual reading by them. My usage has stayed the same since, I just didn't realise they had read regularly up until 2013, then stopped and estimated since then.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2017 at 10:16PM
    Options
    EDF are at fault because they just let customers go for years and years without trying properly to access meters with their meter readers.. I have worked for them for many years and noticed how, unlike British Gas, these over seas invaders do not comply with OFGEMS rules on accessing all meters every two years..They, and Scottish Power, do not elevate properties and businesses to "must read " status.. It costs more to read these sorts of addresses so they just let it ride for donkeys years..Its very rare for us to receive meter reading work from these two renegade suppliers as "must reads ". The public need to be protected from themselves as it can lead to prepayment meter on debts, and bankrupt businesses..OFGEM just allow these foreign suppliers to get away with it..British Gas dont do it, they pay the extra and comply..Shame that the Ombudsman, if their is one for businesses, will side with these cheapskate suppliers like EDF and Scottish Power..Eon do at least comply but those two do not.
  • Chamellow
    Options
    Thank you House Martin. Is there anything I could do about this to help?
    Mostly I want to spread the cost, and not be locked into a high tariff.
    Secondly I'd like to reduce the bill.

Thank you
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wasn't being rude, I just find it really hard to understand how someone who runs their own business can let four years of esimated energy bills rattle by without checking them against the meter readings to make sure that they were correct.

I doubt you'd let your other suppliers "estimate" their invoices without you checking that they correspond with the goods & quantities supplied.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ...I need to know if there is any help available, or if they are right in everything, and I have no way of reducing that bill, and that I have to go onto their recovery tariff, which seems to be very high unit rate....,

There are Voluntary Standards for back billing of Micro Business Energy Customers. EDF has signed up to them, and promises to limit back billing to one year.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Policies/Micro%20business/VoluntaryStandardsforBackbillingofMicroBuisinessCustomersApril2.pdf

You have to qualify as a 'micro business' and there are certain 'Customer responsibilities in relation to bills' which you apparently have to fulfill in order to qualify.

I don't know whether you qualify, but it might help.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 8:45AM
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »
    There are Voluntary Standards for back billing of Micro Business Energy Customers. EDF has signed up to them, and promises to limit back billing to one year.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Policies/Micro%20business/VoluntaryStandardsforBackbillingofMicroBuisinessCustomersApril2.pdf

You have to qualify as a 'micro business' and there are certain 'Customer responsibilities in relation to bills' which you apparently have to fulfill in order to qualify.

I don't know whether you qualify, but it might help.

EDF has been billing, it has just been using estimates. I am not sure how the Back Billing rules apply in this situation.

Note that the 2 year meter reading rule does not apply (it is now once per year for domestic customers). Also, the word 'reasonable' keeps lawyers in £s for years.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you House Martin. Is there anything I could do about this to help?
    Mostly I want to spread the cost, and not be locked into a high tariff.
    Secondly I'd like to reduce the bill.

Thank you
    I think Hengus has probably got it right in quoting the "back billing " rule..Being a business user you have`nt the same rights as a domestic user where a reduction in the bill could have been offered seeing as how they broke the minimum period of taking a supplier reading every 2 years ( now its only 1 year ).
    Is the electric meter working in a form of "smart mode " as most business electric meters are now at least in my area ?.Many of these meters don t work in smart mode and have nt worked from day one so check on that one. Many business users I meet are not aware their meters are duff because the supplier could nt be bothered to inform them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure