Financial Capability Week: Take the Challenge

Options
National_Numeracy
National_Numeracy Posts: 48 Organisation Representative
I've been Money Tipped!
Next week is Financial Capability Week (13th-19th Nov), and we're encouraging as many people as possible to register for the National Numeracy Challenge to improve their numeracy and, in turn, their financial capability.

A new report, 'Numeracy and Financial Capability: Exploring the links', shows that higher levels of numeracy are linked to being better able to manage day-to-day finances. It also shows that there's a strong association between people's numeracy level and savings amount (regardless of income).

As the report outlines, it's people who have a combination of numeracy, confidence and positive attitudes who are the most likely to demonstrate financially capable behaviours - and the Challenge helps you assess all three, informally and confidentially.

A score of 80 or more on the Challenge shows that you've got the 'Essentials of Numeracy' - the skills you need to get by. But if you're not there yet, the Challenge also provides guidance and resources to help you improve.

To take part, just register here for the National Numeracy Challenge.

Have you got the skills and attitudes needed to manage your finances? Let us know how you score!
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next week is Financial Capability Week (13th-19th Nov), and we're encouraging as many people as possible to register for the National Numeracy Challenge to improve their numeracy and, in turn, their financial capability.

Why is it necessary to register and hand over a whole lot of personal information just to have a look? Surely if you want to encourage people to improve their numeracy the first thing to do is to get them interested in finding out more about numeracy, rather than wondering what will be done with their personal details if they register?
    Have you got the skills and attitudes needed to manage your finances? Let us know how you score!
    One of the key skills needed to manage your finances is to understand the need to be circumspect with personal information, unless you are sure about who you are giving it to and how that information might be used.

So unfortunately it looks like I'm not going to be finding out my score :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • National_Numeracy
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi EachPenny,

The Challenge website is free but does require an email address, so that we can email participants with their results and other support (no spam). We also collect names so that users can print personalised certificates as evidence of getting the Essentials of Numeracy or show their numeracy level. Both services are valued by our users, which now number more than 120,000.

We do ask users to agree to the terms and conditions before registering, so the details of how their information will be used are made clear before anyone submits any details.

Of course we appreciate that you may not wish to register on the site, but for those who do there's a wealth of resources available to help them improve their numeracy.

Thanks,

National Numeracy
    I’m the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is it necessary to register and hand over a whole lot of personal information just to have a look?

Do what any other paranoid person does, set up a fake gmail (or any other free email address) email and give fake details.
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Of course we appreciate that you may not wish to register on the site, but for those who do there's a wealth of resources available to help them improve their numeracy.

Unfortunately your approach of forcing people to register will mean that many people will miss out on the positives that your site may well have given them :(
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well I registered yesterday and spent 15 mins or so going through the questions - and then I got weary of it as there is no ongoing feedback and no indication whatsoever of how long the thing goes on for. Does it last 30 mins, 3 hours, 3 days?

That lack of info is disconcerting and very off-putting. I can log back in and pick up where I left off, but if it's just going to be continual questions and no feedback I may not bother. I do have a life.

The only thing resembling feedback was a message along the lines of 'now we've worked out your level we'll carry on with yet more questions for your level' - which wasn't really very helpful as it didn't say where I might be on a dunce/genius scale and so didn't let me judge whether the new questions were significantly different, they didn't seem too different, maybe a bit harder..

For the record they were fairly thought-provoking but not difficult.
  • National_Numeracy
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi IanSt,

We've tried hard to keep registration questions to a minimum, as we know it can be a bit of a barrier. We only ask for details we need either to communicate with users (as outlined above) or so we can look at numeracy across the UK by age and gender, which is useful as we campaign to improve national provision.

Asking people to set up their own individual account on the site allows us to tailor the support and resources to each user, which is really important in helping people improve their numeracy from their own starting point.
  • National_Numeracy
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Zanderman, thanks for your feedback. We're continually working on improving the Challenge so we'll bear this in mind.

The Challenge Check-Up takes most people twenty to forty minutes. It adapts in difficulty according to how you are answering, so it will be different for each person.

The time taken to complete your individual Challenge will vary according to how many topics you need to work on and what your personal goals are within the Challenge. The Check-Up is followed by bite-size chunks of learning and assessment which should take around half an hour each. The full course can be completed at your own pace across days or weeks and your progress is saved every time you log out or close the window.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    st999 wrote: »
    Do what any other paranoid person does, set up a fake gmail (or any other free email address) email and give fake details.

You can even use a totally fictitious email address to get into this survey. I have just done so, as there is zero need for the National Numeracy folk to send me any emails ever, or to know what my email address (or my name) is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure