Customer Service -vs- Exit Fees.

Options
impvan
impvan Posts: 27 Forumite
I'm wondering just how bad (or non-existent) a firm's customer service has to be, in order to switch away mid-contract and not get walloped with the exit penalty...

Switched to Economy Energy some 3 months ago. After the confirmation email, the actual switch, and the instant DDebit take, nothing.

No ability to submit readings, no contract pack, unable to register on the website, no emails are ever answered, and no-one answers the phones even after 30 minutes on hold.

I want to switch to any other supplier which I can have some confidence in, but will be liable for the exit penalty.

Can I use their apparent absence of a functional CS department as grounds for saying 'whistle' for your fee?

Comments

• LewisHamilton
    Options
    No but what you could do is speak to go to the Energy Ombudsman to complain about the customer service. They will most likely uphold your complaint - keep an audit trail of your unanswered emails etc and explain why the customer service is poor. Ask for a goodwill payment that equates to the amount your exit fees will cost and they will probably ask Economy Energy to credit your account with this and then switch for free.

You may even get a slightly higher award if your exit fees are only £20 per fuel. They may offer £75 if the issue is still ongoing.

You can go to the Ombudsman eight weeks after your issue started.

Let us know how you get on. Don't stand for the poor service. The Ombudsman can also require it to set up your DD, send you a bill, ensure account is set up correctly etc on top of the goodwill payment.

Sounds like the only way to go in my opinion if they are not even responding to your concerns.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before going to The EO, you must follow the supplier’s formal complaints procedure. Spell out the detail of your complaint with examples of poor service, and the remedy that you seek. Do it in writing and keep a copy. After 8 weeks - or on receipt of a deadlock letter - you are free to escalate your complaint. Note that by doing so, you are agreeing to third-party arbitration. In other words, you only have two options: accept or reject the EO’s decision. If you reject it, the supplier is off the hook. All this will take at least 3 months.

The alternative is just to bite the bullet and leave.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    impvan wrote: »
    I want to switch to any other supplier which I can have some confidence in, but will be liable for the exit penalty.

Can I use their apparent absence of a functional CS department as grounds for saying 'whistle' for your fee?

Whilst your dilemma is appreciated, the exit penalty will almost certainly be added to your account by the Computer. Refuse to pay that and you will probably get a black mark on your credit record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure