PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family trees

Options

Comments

• Libellula84
    Options
    Hi folks
    I am very interested in geneology and seem to have some sort of luck when looking things up!
    I had a bad experience recently in that I had been using FamilySearch (run by Church of Latter Day Saints) and after logging back in after a good while I was devastated to find that all my previous searches were gone!
    It seems that because I hadn't populated info into family trees the searches that were visible had just disappeared! Hours of work...
    I contacted FamilySearch and they were very friendly and helpful but they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about....So back in I go to start again.
  • Tipsntreats
    Options
    I contacted FamilySearch and they were very friendly and helpful but they didn't seem to understand what I was talking about....So back in I go to start again.
    Good luck with that. I found that info on that site, was only what others have submitted. I have found much better results with the paid for sites, as I like to double check on info. Do come back and share your story Libellula84. Don't forget to ask here if you need advice.
    Tips x
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It seems that because I hadn't populated info into family trees the searches that were visible had just disappeared! Hours of work...

Get yourself a stand alone family tree programme, on your PC, not at some web site where you will be at the whim of whoever owns the site, I include Acestry etc amongst these

Look on http://www.cyndislist.com/ free site, American biased but much of relevance to all, including list of FH programmes http://www.cyndislist.com/software/free/

I use Brothers Keepr but find one that suits what you need, and remember paying more does not always mean better
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I thought I had lost this thread.
    I hope it can be found again now.
    Tips x
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hello.

I'm thinking about starting to delve into my family tree. I needed to look up the name of a great uncle today, so signed up to Family Search and a free trial of Ancestry. I got quite excited when that led me to the names of my great grandparents, which I didn't know before.

I don't know whether to carry on and go further though? It looks like it might get expensive, and confusing.

I suppose any tips on how to dip my toe in the water fairly cheaply would be good, so I can decide whether to carry on.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm thinking about starting to delve into my family tree. I needed to look up the name of a great uncle today, so signed up to Family Search and a free trial of Ancestry. I got quite excited when that led me to the names of my great grandparents, which I didn't know before.

I don't know whether to carry on and go further though? It looks like it might get expensive, and confusing.

I suppose any tips on how to dip my toe in the water fairly cheaply would be good, so I can decide whether to carry on.

Ames There is a thread here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1554629

Make sure you remember to cancel the Ancestry free trial, if you don't they will take a years subscription.

Most libraries have free access to Ancestry.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Ames
    Options
    Thanks. I had a read of that thread but most of it's a few years old and I wasn't sure how accurate it was - the internet moves so quickly. I had a half hearted attempt about ten years ago to try tracing my family tree and it's a totally different experience now.

I'll have a look at the links in that thread.

I've put a note in my calendar (on my phone and laptop) to remind me to cancel three days before the free trial's up.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 January 2017 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Hello.

It'll be never-ending, but you can do it all for free.

When you do it for free you can't guarantee you've not gone wrong, but most of the time you've got a good idea you're perfect.

There are many sites that will do lookups for you, free, for bits and bobs, online. rootschat.com is good for that - and there's a Facebook Ancestry group (not part of the company).

Then use Ancestry and FMP free weekends to go as far as you can.

You'll discover other people's published trees online (google) and will be able to get ideas/clues as to where people went/what they did - that'll then help you to look there for records and see if you think they invented it or it's true.

It starts to get pricey if you start buying certificates too .... and copies of wills ... and local family history society parish registers that aren't online (FMP has more English ones than any other site).

But, ultimately, you might have to get in your car and drive somewhere ... 200+ miles away, and spend days rooting through boxes of old records .... perchance you might be able to spot something, even though it's in ancient writing... and that's pricey too as you need fuel costs and somewhere to kip.

Right now, 200 miles away, I need: The original parish registers of one church; the court papers for one court/year; the workhouse records of two workhouses 20 miles apart....

I also want: some divorce papers and something else (forgot what it was now... knew when I started typing this).

And whenever you find anybody/anything - that generates a new query to explore.

Is their house still there, where, is it on rightmove ... to peek inside...

What did their sisters/brothers do? Where did they go? What downlines do they have?

In the last three years I've spent £10 on a CD of court indexes to get a father's name for b4st4rdy purposes .... and under £5 on assorted FMP accesses
  • Ames
    Options
    Thanks Pastures New.

I think my current plan is to use the Ancestry trial to get as many names and dates as I can and then take it from there, does that seem reasonable?

I looked at a couple of census reacords online but really struggled to read the writing! As did whoever put the information on Ancestry, since the job as they read it (Pice weaver) doesn't seem to have existed.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    It's also worth looking at local family history societies. They vary a lot but if most of your ancestors come from the same area it can be worth joining. I joined the Cambridgeshire group years ago and was able to buy copies of parish registers and censuses on microfiche. They do them on CD now. They also have a list of members interests. It was a lot cheaper than Ancestry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure