IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking charge

Options
Hi, may sound stupid but I recieved a parking charge in the post with photos taken by ANPR camera on pole.
Should these photos show the front of the car arriving and the rear of the car leaving.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cliffy72 wrote: »
    Hi, may sound stupid but I recieved a parking charge in the post with photos taken by ANPR camera on pole.
    Should these photos show the front of the car arriving and the rear of the car leaving.
    Thanks in advance.

There are no rules on that.
    The parking company can site their cameras where they like and capture either the back or front number plate on entry or exit.

Cliffy72, thank you for starting a new thread. Please feel free to delete your earlier post when you have a moment. Thanks again.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    KeithP is right, but nothing stops a person at POPLA stage, from saying the two images appear to be two arrivals or two exits, and that there is nothing in the background of the images to place the car at a certain place in the site, or even in the named site, at all.

You can throw all the mud at POPLA stage but they are 'allowed' to show what they like and you are allowed to criticise the evidence.

Which PPC? Is it a BPA member where POPLA is even an option?

Just follow the usual appeal as per the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You also need to have a good read of the Newbies Sticky at the top of this board to inform yourself properly about private parking and see the procedure/strategies that work for seeing these predators-off. :)
  • Cliffy72
    Options
    Hi,thanks for the response.
    I've been back to the car park today (parked up outside though) to have a good look around at the position of the cameras and the entry/exit points.
    There a 2 entry points, photo 1 shows the vehicle entering at one entry point and photo 2 shows the vehicle entering at the other entry point 23hrs 58mins later (they claim I am leaving then) I can tell they are both entry points because of the road markings. All the cameras are positioned on the retail park pointing at entry/exit none are positioned off the retail park, so it is not possible for both photos to show the front of the vehicle.
    I also spoke to the manager at Home and Bargains who just shook her head and said "she was sick of this" she even check there cctv outside to see if she pick the vehicle up leaving. Unfortunately they don't see that far, she also said that all the ones she had seen from angry customers showed the front on entry and the rear on exit.
    Surely this should be a quick fix.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    so its a topic called "double dipping" - 2 short visits , not one long visit

name the PPC for a start and then read that NEWBIES sticky thread and appeal it with the template letter
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,thanks for the response.
    I've been back to the car park today (parked up outside though) to have a good look around at the position of the cameras and the entry/exit points.
    There a 2 entry points, photo 1 shows the vehicle entering at one entry point and photo 2 shows the vehicle entering at the other entry point 23hrs 58mins later (they claim I am leaving then) I can tell they are both entry points because of the road markings. All the cameras are positioned on the retail park pointing at entry/exit none are positioned off the retail park, so it is not possible for both photos to show the front of the vehicle.
    I also spoke to the manager at Home and Bargains who just shook her head and said "she was sick of this" she even check there cctv outside to see if she pick the vehicle up leaving. Unfortunately they don't see that far, she also said that all the ones she had seen from angry customers showed the front on entry and the rear on exit.
    Surely this should be a quick fix.

We really do need to know the name of the PPC.

Please clarify. Do you mean that the cameras would only capture the rear of a vehicle on entry, and only capture the front of the vehicle on exit at both entrances?
    If that is the case, and backed up by the road markings and lack of reversing lights, then it is definitely a double dipping case caused by unfit for purpose ANPR cameras.
    The PPCs are supposed to do additional manual checks where ANPR is used, but in this case either they haven't, or the system has ignored the exit image, or it has been deliberately omitted.

Either way, the scammers had no reasonable cause to obtain keeper info from the DVLA.
    So, complain to the DVLA and your MP. If the scammers belong to the BPA then you should complain to them as well.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

If the PPC is a BPA member then quote the comment above in bold to them and ask them how they intend to change their reputation in the eyes of MPs and the motoring public.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for alleged breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

That's your first point in the POPLA appeal, but do include all the usual template points as well.

Assuming this is a BPA member. Which PPC?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Cliffy72
    Options
    Hi, I'm guessing PPC means private parking compay if so the parking is run by UKPC.
    (Fruitcake) as regard the pictures, on entry it is the front of the vehicle on exit it should be the back of the vehicle. Because of the position of the cameras it is impossible to photograph the front of the vehicle on exit.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, I'm guessing PPC means private parking compay if so the parking is run by UKPC.

no need to guess

post #5 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread explains the acronyms
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family