PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you be concerned re hs2

Options
moneysaver12
moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 October 2016 at 10:39PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi we have been looking at a house to buy.

My concern is that the hs2 when built will be 800 metres away from the house.

Also on the same street there are three houses up for sale which have been part exchanged with a builder.

Same builder has also bought a house on the next street for part exchange

Have discovered that it's ging to be 450 metres away from the track and 500 metres from the depot
Married 09/09/09

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would like to live near hs2 and have a good view of the trains as they speed past
  • yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi we have been looking at a house to buy.

My concern is that the hs2 when built will be 800 metres away from the house.

Also on the same street there are three houses up for sale which have been part exchanged with a builder.

Same builder has also bought a house on the next street for part exchange

That is almost half a mile away!! No concern at all!
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    Think my little boy would agree with you boliston .
    Married 09/09/09
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    yoshiyella wrote: »
    That is almost half a mile away!! No concern at all!

As long as you are absolutely sure they don't plan to move it by say half a mile.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    As long as you are absolutely sure they don't plan to move it by say half a mile.

I would be worried that if it were a full mile away I might not be able to hear it so well.
  • moneysaver12
    Options
    It was going to be further away. But the route was changed in July. Making it closer. Think Im concerned as well with so many people part exchanging to move in to the new houses in the same village .
    Married 09/09/09
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    We are in the area near the Manchester Ship Canal which is arguably the worst affected area for HS2 due to the viaduct required to span it.

Would I buy in Rixton, a village which will be immediately next to a 30 metre viaduct?.... no.

Would I buy 800 metres from Rixton.... yes.

If the property you are considering is 800 mtr from a place where HS2 is either in a cutting or on level land then it wouldnt even enter my head as a concern.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    I would be worried that if it were a full mile away I might not be able to hear it so well.

I stayed next to HS1 near Stratford for some time in 2012. The trains do sound great, but I wouldn't necessarily want it in my garden.
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not necessarily the railway and trains that are the main problem, it's the years of construction required and the impact of hundreds of lorry movements on local roads and villages / towns e.g. removing spoil when creating tunnels or cuttings.
    Not even wrong
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .... and the number of local roads that will be sliced in half, leaving a few others as triple-trafic rat-runs...

I'd have to be reasonably convinced the price I would be paying had taken most of the potential drop. The noise and irritation of the endless build would concern me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure