Burglaries: Practical, effective ways to protect your home? And spot targets?

Options
Hello all,

Recently I heard there has been a string of burglaries in my area.

I have always been vigilant doing things like:
  • Installing a home alarm (no CCTV or anything)
  • Checking everything door and window is locked every night
  • Following work men (e.g. plumbers) when they come to the house
  • When I can I try and see if there is any unusual activity / loiters in the visible radius from my house
  • Not leave many expensive things in the house

There is a high amount of immigrant, poor Eastern European population 3 or 4 miles from my area. I am not implying that is a cause, but it is a concern where they are known to ride without car number plates, leave homes in disarray and leave without paying rent and only here for a quick buck until next time.

What are some other practical ways to stop burglaries?

I cannot afford a pet and maintenance that goes with it.

It seems like it's inevitable.

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There is a high amount of immigrant, poor Eastern European population 3 or 4 miles from my area. I am not implying that is a cause, but it is a concern where they are known to ride without car number plates, leave homes in disarray and leave without paying rent and only here for a quick buck until next time.

Then why mention it?

Attack trained guard hamster perhaps
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,

Recently I heard there has been a string of burglaries in my area.

I have always been vigilant doing things like:
    • Installing a home alarm (no CCTV or anything)
    • Checking everything door and window is locked every night
    • Following work men (e.g. plumbers) when they come to the house
    • When I can I try and see if there is any unusual activity / loiters in the visible radius from my house
    • Not leave many expensive things in the house

What are some other practical ways to stop burglaries?

It seems like it's inevitable.

Where do get your information from
  • JamesFuller
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    Then why mention it?

Attack trained guard hamster perhaps

Because pick pocketing, and past burglars were of Eastern European background in this area.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Because pick pocketing, and past burglars were of Eastern European background in this area.
    So you are implying it then.

Honestly, if you're going to make prejudicial remarks, at least have the courage to state them properly rather than dropping them in whilst simultaneously denying your true view.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Where do get your information from

The Daily Mail most likely, where they tar entire communities on the actions of the few and breed hatred and contempt!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • societys_child
    Options
    Do all you can to make next door look a better bet . . . (neighbours will love you)

Alarm, security lights etc, sleeping policemen . .. .

Oh maybe not sleeping policemen (or women) they're traffic calming I think . . .
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options

You're more likely to be burgled by home grown scum rather than EU nationals or tradesmen.

So no need to bring your wrongly preconceived stereotypes here and make it racial.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Well I can reassure you, your home will never be pick-pocketed..
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    As suggested somewhere up the thread, you need to make your neighbours' properties more appealing than yours (or yours less appealing than theirs).

You don't say if you have a garden at the front/back. Do you have fences or high hedges, a locked gate or an alley?

Is your home unoccupied during the daytime, is it obvious no one is home? If it is unoccupied at night do your lights come on with a timer or is the house dark?

A little more info would help.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do all you can to make next door look a better bet . . . (neighbours will love you) Posted by societys child

That's not as daft as some people will think. When we bought a new crook lock for our car, we asked the salesman how effective it was. He replied that no crook lock was perfect - the idea was just to make your car 'too difficult' so the crooks would steal another car instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure