BT problems

Options
Hi I'm new so appols if this has been posted before
I don't often check my accounts unless I have been made aware of any changes 're price increase or costs etc and on checking my bank statement this week for anger matter note BT have been taking out over £55 per month
I have been wirh BT broadband since 2014 and renewed my broadband with them previously after being made aware via a posted letter to my address that my deal term was coming to an end, i have also had free BT sports included in my deals so decided to set up a new deal last Feb 2016 for faster unlimited broadband for
I was under the impression that my new deal was at a fee if £30 per month which included line rental, Broadband and BT sports (they did not inform me of any cost 're BT sports)
I have been going through my bank statements and note this appears to have only been a period of what looks to be 4 months as it then jumps from an average of £31 mark to and average of over £53er month
I have queried this with BT who informed me prices have increased over time , The BT sports was not free and that they had notified of a price change via email
now I accept prices do go up but surly if the sales person was aware of any price increase to be implemented at the time of a new deal /sale in end of Feb 2016 they should notify me that my deal will not actualy be for a period stated by them re the deal length (18 mth) and that I will have to pay full fee as from July 2016 and that BT sports would be at a cost and no longer free
my package shows it is BT faster broadband however can see no written record on BTs website that shows the fees for faster broadband as it is no longer available and have nothing to compare the before and after fee increase too
I have been told I am tied in for BT sports as I had a new Sky box Dec 2016 and had to activate it on a new card but again was not aware that there was a cost implication as under the impression it was still free as stated at time if a new deal set up in Feb 2016
I am looking at better deals elsewhere but if I do not get a satisfactory conclusion from BT I am wondering if it is worthwhile going to the Ombudsman and had anyone else had similar issues?

Comments

• Vanilla7986
    Options
    forgot to add BT said they have emailed me 're price increases but I do not always check my emails and have over 2000 in my in box and i certainly have not opened or seen any from BT so i was not aware of any price increase ,also if it goes to my spam they are deleted automatically
    I have had written posted notification befire through the post and again my deal was for 18 month which is not the case and prices increased after only 4
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT price increase around 4 April 2017 .BT Sport became chargeable circa August 2017 .
    Next Price increase Jan 2018.

Your BT contract states .
    <
    Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us

We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.>

See multiple identical posts on the forum .

The basics are you have not read the price increase emails and have been unable to void the contract under OFCOM regulations .
  • forestlands
    forestlands Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January 2018 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Is the sentence at the bottom a quote from BT? Cheeky! A little more care on the part of BT accounts would make life easier for customers and encourage them to stay!

From experience, BT are very bad at notifying customers about changes to costs. Has anyone got BT emails? I was charged £5 a month when I first had BT emails. This price was increased considerably a few months ago! Having experienced poor service I went to my account to check some details, no longer have an account it's been closed - but I still have an account! Email service is terrible, have to keep logging in, get logged out when constructing an email and interference/ harassment by Yahoo. BT nearly doubled the price of having an email account with them and service has deteriorated considerably!

Has anyone got email with BT, had a price hike recently and has very poor service from BT i.e. getting logged out constantly, find you are logged in to Yahoo mail. Yahoo keep popping up and want you to use their browser? Also lost their BT account and receiving spam for " BT accounts".? As I see it, BT is a shambles! .
  • Tommytwo_2
    Options
    A word of warning to all firstly after coming out of court today where I tried to take bt on and trying to plead my case to the ombudsman I think I've got some points for people doing the same thing please let me explain 24 the Jan 2016 I signed up with bt I had a letter saying I will be connected on the 11th Feb and low and behold it didn't work after phone calls I was told to stump up extra £40 as I was on the copper wire and needed bt infinity for it to work which I refused so they said I cancelled due to non payment they deny making calls and it is impossible to get transcripts so record everything yourself so I went to the ombudsman who are totally bias if you can't prove 110% remember bt will LIE then they send you debt collection letters which I refused to pay and tried to fight it in county court but was told to pay the £450 bill then resubmit and try to get your money back bt will use barrister to fight it's claim if you lose expect £300 feel uckily the judge refused they're costs hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure