Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    hi
    ignore all the posts on here theres obviously no motor traders
    first go on the Mid see if the trade plates are actually registered on the Mid ,if not the car is not covered for insurance never mind tax
    second contact dvla with regards the plates as they are not being used as per the terms of supply
    its most likely your daughter ran into a car where some bloke borrowed one plate to move an illegal car
    report the accident to the police and your insurer pronto is my advice because most likely a claim will be coming that 32 people in the back seat of the car your daughter hit have whiplash injuries

lol what a load of nonsense.

Driving without tax wouldn't completely invalidate his insurance.
    His insurance and tax status is moot as far as liability is concerned, op crashed in to somebody
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    s_b wrote: »
    hi
    ignore all the posts on here theres obviously no motor traders
    Oh the irony
    first go on the Mid see if the trade plates are actually registered on the Mid ,if not the car is not covered for insurance never mind tax
    You do realise that trade plates are absolutely FA to do with insurance don't you?
    second contact dvla with regards the plates as they are not being used as per the terms of supply
    How do you know that?

its most likely your daughter ran into a car where some bloke borrowed one plate to move an illegal car
    report the accident to the police and your insurer pronto is my advice because most likely a claim will be coming that 32 people in the back seat of the car your daughter hit have whiplash injuries
    My bold (and some rubbish to make the message long enough)
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    The use of the trade plates as above is probably irrelevant to the cause / fault or liability for the accident but MAY explain the driving off without passing details.

There has been cases of people mis-using trade plates and so if the case here, may be why he didn't hang around, especially after your appearance.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    For those who are unaware of this, trade plates CAN be registered on the MID, and their own documentation for motor trade users says this can be acceptable evidence of insurance - it's even written in the FAQs on their website:

http://stayinsured.askmid.com/FAQs.html

"Are Motor Trade plates acceptable evidence of insurance?
    The trade plate must be registered on the Motor Insurance Database (MID)...
    as this demonstrates to the authorities that a trader has a motor insurance policy in place which covers the use of the vehicles that are temporarily in their possession".
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I look after 11 delivery vans. All my drivers have been instructed to take images of number plates if involved in a RTA that I check on the DVLA site whilst I complete internal paperwork. Three incidents in the last 6 months have uncovered 2 untaxed vehicles and 1 trade plates. The rules for Trade plate usage rules are quite clear and using them for private mileage isn't one of them. For whats it worth our insurance company didn't pay out as the vehicles shouldn't have been on the public road.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/584865/vtl301g-guidance-notes-how-to-fill-in-a-VTL301-form.pdf
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do you prove that it is private mileage?

Or more to the point, how do you prove that it is NOT business mileage?

You need the other party to admit to it somehow, just because e.g. it is 2AM doesn't provide any proof that it is not business.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    just because e.g. it is 2AM doesn't provide any proof that it is not business.

This. If a plater is picking up a car from Cornwall and delivering to Edinburgh there's a likelihood they'll be on the road at 2am in it especially if the weekend is looming near when they want to be home.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kawi wrote: »

Apparently he had been filming her ( She's 17 hrs old) and demanded from her, her driving licence, when asked for his details he refused and then drove off.

Does this sound like it's above board ?

Definitely suspicious
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure