Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah but - the efficiency of the panel itself is not increasing? The same cells are doing exactly the same job they were doing before. But the light they are receiving allows them to perform better - or have I got this wrong?

PV or not PV, that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous efficiency.

Fun problem. Hmmm, if you are adding some sort of back face thin film PV, like the high efficiency panels, even if only theoretical, then I suppose that's a Wp increase.

If you add some sort of external mirror or reflector to get more light onto the panels, then that's probably not a Wp increase.

But if you added something to the panels that focused more light, or also generated leccy, then we may be in some sort of grey area.

FiT wise, you'd generate more, and get paid more, so 'what the hell', but the FiT rates were based on expectations and technology at given times ..... head hurting ...... I don't know.

Oh, and any affordable (i.e. cost efficient) battery would be great right now no matter what the size.

I know, I know ...... I want to have a play, come on Elon (that almost sounds like a song?)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I know, I know ...... I want to have a play, come on Elon (that almost sounds like a song?)

Dexy's Midday(!) Runners, I believe?
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Dexy's Midday(!) Runners, I believe?

I had to reply because I groaned so loud the cat came to see what had happened. Brilliant ..... but not perfect:-

Leccy's Midday Sunners!

I sense a challenge?

[Edit - I claim everything by AC/DC.]
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I had to reply because I groaned so loud the cat came to see what had happened. Brilliant ..... but not perfect:-

Leccy's Midday Sunners!

I sense a challenge?

[Edit - I claim everything by AC/DC.]

I think you win this round as I really can't think of response. But if I do..........
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd considered all those points and still not sure how I'd regard it - let alone how a FIT provider might :D

I expect it will only be one of those ideas that get floated but never happen but if it does ever come to anything I'll start making enquiries.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just had a reply back from my MP who said he would be happy to take it up and fight against it.
    At last had a reply from my MP. He's passed my letter on to the Energy Minister for a reply.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Moixa, Hitachi collaborate on GBP 10.8m Smart Islands EV, solar+storage project on Isles of Scilly
    The British archipelago of islands to become global testbed for Smart Islands project that aims to provide model for use of electric vehicles and home batteries in a smart energy system.

The sunniest, remotest and most energy-poor region of the United Kingdom is poised to become a global testbed for measuring the efficacy of using electric vehicles – charged by solar panels – to play a leading role in managing a low-carbon smart energy system.

The Isles of Scilly, an archipelago located 28 miles off the coast of southwest England, have been selected for a GBP 10.8 million ($13.2 million) project by the Hitachi Europe-led Smart Energy Islands (SEI) project, which will see up to 100 rooftop solar systems, two 50 kW solar gardens, around 290 home energy management systems and a handful of smart batteries installed across the islands.

These systems will be controlled via integration with Hitachi’s Internet of Things (IoT) platform, which will act as a central point of control for an Electric Vehicle Management System and a Home Battery Management System.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Tweet from the National Grid Control Room Twitter account today
    "Transmission system demand today was for the first time ever lower in the afternoon than it was overnight due to large amounts of #solar"

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Tweet from the National Grid Control Room Twitter account today

And here's more on the story:

Solar sends GB transmission system demand to historic lows
    Transmission system demand on Saturday afternoon (25 March) dipped below overnight demand for the first time in the UK’s history, with increased solar generation the root cause.

Between 1pm and 4pm demand on Great Britain’s transmission system dipped below 25GW owing to increased output from solar PV generators which benefitted from ideal weather conditions.

This, according to National Grid, was below the overnight minimum demand of circa 26GW; the first time this has happened in the UK.

• Martyn1981
    Options

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback