We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We mostly give the chooks a big dust bath in a box, lace it with loads of diatom powder and let them get on with killing their own lice.

I bumped-off the other hen with canker tonight, as the pills weren't curing her.:( Shan't try to save any more, if they catch that.

Conservatory men have returned and done their best, fixing the box gutter correctly at last, although I had to prod them all the way. With further prodding, they also liaised properly with our builder, and between them they managed to sort out the rest of the guttering / fascias along the back of the house. :)

Too tired to write more tonight, but I hope the Show goes well, Dafty. We have continuous rain here tonight. Genuinely useful, but it probably won't reach the rivers.....
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    1st of july !!!!

where has 6 months gone ...

im going to try and make a concerted effort to make sure I DO something of note each month.. I hit the big 6 0 this year and I need to stop being complaicent... all the things I have intended to do, talk of doing and then it sits on the back burner...
    im determined now after a week of bl**dy hard work and hence , now a lot of back pain ...
    the weather is cooler but still hitting 20's so intend to crack on with this garden if it kills me !! probably will but hey ho ....

ok so ive had my "whinge" and feel better so sorry folks, you got butt end of it ...

hope you all have a good weekend
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all, sounds like most of you have had the same as us down here, roasting heat followed by deluges of rain.

I've done sod-all with the allotment but I spent all last weekend planning my future haha. Have been looking into agro-forestry, forest gardens etc and figuring out what to do once I actually buy some land. Planning on a nice comfy sofa is probably by far the easiest bit!

Plans for my side-company are coming along very well so hopefully in a couple of years that will provide an income which will make all this a reality...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    1st of july !!!!
    where has 6 months gone ...

I sat eating breakfast this morning, thinking much the same. :o:(

Well, at least we have a completed conservatory and it looks OK. The chaps finished yesterday lunchtime and we parted on good terms, but they left empty-handed as regards payment, not that they were bothered. I gave them something for a drink on the way home, and they gave me some materials to sort out another building problem. :)

It's their boss we have to negotiate with now!

I hope the back lets you get on with the garden, alfie. I've been suffering with what might be sciatica for the past month or two, so I'm aware now of how these things can flare up, apparently without much provocation. My 'issue' doesn't stop me working; it just kicks-in occasionally, making me yell when I bend, or when I sit down, or drive the car....Sciatica's supposed to go away after a while, but this hasn't. so I might have to see the quack if it's still there the end of the month.
    :(

Chesapeake, this is the wrong time of year to be planning on the sofa, but I'll admit tonight wasn't much good out of doors. Came home over the low moors and couldn't even see the 100' wind turbines close to the road, the mist was that thick. July? We've had the heating on! :o:o
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another one wondering where the year has gone...

We should have been moving this year so I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself thinking about what could have been. The plan is still to move this time next year (or thereabouts), but my eldest DD has started talking about moving to Bristol to do a Masters so that might complicate matters a bit financially. Very exciting for her though.

It's been far too hot and dry to attempt any gardening, followed by quite a bit of rain, so my garden is a mess and full of weeds. The bane of my life is elders springing up everywhere. I can't pull them out and they grow through bushes and hedges so it's impossible to dig them out either. I've resorted to just cutting them down as much as possible.

Dave, that's great that you have finally got your conservatory how you want it. I know the saga isn't quite over, but hopefully you can enjoy using it now. Hope the sciatica clears off soon.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Davesnave
    edited 4 July 2017 at 7:28AM
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    The plan is still to move this time next year (or thereabouts), but my eldest DD has started talking about moving to Bristol to do a Masters so that might complicate matters a bit financially. Very exciting for her though.
    DD2's education was what scuppered our plans to go and rent in Wales after we sold our house. When the house didn't sell quickly in the Crash, she pre-empted further delays for herself by enrolling on an intermediate course at the local college, thus tying us to the city for a further year.

In fact that's probably the main reason why we're here, not there. (The other reason being interference from prejudiced Outlaws. :()

DD2's fiance has just finished his masters in Bristol, which certainly wasn't the cheapest location for them to rent. Competition for the better places is intense because of the student influx.

Of course, hailing from the city next door, I can't see what all the fuss is about! :p

Yes, we're using the conservatory, although it still needs plastering and a floor covering. Sat out there last night, eating dinner, with the swallows and house martins providing their usual aerial displays. Wonderful! :)
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

super weather here again.. :)

albeit storms predicted for Friday so we will see, a good downpour over night will give the hay fields a good needed boost..

mums off to a hotel for a week next Wednesday with an equally aged cousin [haven't seen each other for a few years, just postal/phone contact] its a macmillan hotel ! nurses there but not in uniform, not cheap but will feel safe there.
    so im "taxi" to get her there :rotfl:

im trying to book my trip to Cyprus but getting confused ... as its northern Cyprus [Turkish] theres no direct flight that's within £s.. so its a stopover in Istanbul [hrs !]
    I can fly to S. Cyprus but then 2hr drive for friends to pick me up and at stupidoclock middle of night !
    think im going to get a travel agent to sort it... they can just present me with options and I will point at one that suits ;)

the sun is still belting in here at nearly 7pm ....
  • Davesnave
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    hi all

super weather here again.. :)

I was over your way....well, Wimborne....on Tuesday, and it was way too warm and humid for me. I'm used to a bit of a breeze! :(

I find the same when I go down to Exeter and beyond. It's amazing what a difference 25 miles makes. I'd never get anything done if I lived in the area along and behind the Jurassic Coast! :rotfl:

Hope you get your holiday worked-out. You deserve a break. :A
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh Dave I've just realised your conservatory is getting finished, that must be such a relief! We have a tiny 6'x6' tagged onto the back of our flat as the back porch and it gets the morning sun so by 7.30am it acts as a radiator heating the whole bloody flat. Good in winter but not so much in summer!

The weekend I spent on the sofa it was bloody miserable down here in West Cornwall, got two days of roasting weather right now which makes work sweaty and horrible. Lifting lots of heavy stuff in 25 degrees plus sucks! Luckily it is beer and I get to take some home to drink at the end of the day :)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Been enduring the horrors of (and the horrors at) work. Realised over the last few days when confronted by angry teenagers insisting that they were cold and refusing to take their puffa coats off (It's 30 Celsius indoors now - and significantly cooler than it was in the middle of the day when, for the first time in my life, I have been sweating like something porcine even directly in front of a fan), that the kids are so arrogant that they would rather risk heatstroke so they could have something to argue about than act like normal human beings. And the latest edict from on high is that my breaks are timed to the second and I have to record them for examination from somebody who isn't even my boss. Whilst they gave instructions to the poor cow who has worked her backside off trying to get the kids interested in plants to pull up all her hard work after the last parents' evening (and in the blistering sun) because the Head doesn't like the colour scheme and it was only ever meant to give a good impression for the Ofsted visit.

I'm sick of the city and the people in it.

So I'm rather excited to say I've got an interview at a rivers trust. Locally, although overlooking ponds built around the one river in the area, but there is another trust based exactly where we want to go...

Sent Himself out to get some watermelon and goat/sheep feta for a light snack. He came back with normal soft goat cheese and galia melon. Different, but still lovely. He's being sent out at the weekend round the corner to the rehearsal studios to score a bagful of vine leaves from the vine growing up the building and I'm going to teach him to make Dolmades. After he's been dragged around the Turkish supermarket and forced to carry significantly more mini cucumbers and tomatoes than he would think to buy if he went alone.

When we move, we will be planting a grapevine.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport