Fitting new fireplace quotation

Options
I wondered if anyone had had similar work done and what sort of quotations you received?

I've an existing chimney/hole in the wall in a Victorian cottage.

Happy to buy a cast iron fireplace and renovate myself.

What sort of price would I be looking at for someone to fit it? I know I would need a HETAS qualified person as I would want to have fires in the winter. There is no chimney liner (in the half of the chimney that would be used for this) but the brick chimney is huge. It would need a slab removing from the top and a new chimney pot fitting.

This is a bedroom fireplace so about 3.5 metres from fireplace to the top of the chimney. Ceiling is less than 2m high.

Comments

• rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Before you embark on buying a fireplace, I would seriously suggest that you employ a HETAS registered chimney sweep to check out the flue, to ensure it is operating correctly. If he is also GASAFE registered, then all the better too.

I wouldn't bother buying a period cast iron fireplace TBH. You can get reproduction ones just as easily and normally cheaper, which will have all the parts to them, will not have any cracks in them and will not need doing up. The market for originals is mad, people think that re using a cast is a good idea. It may be if you are definitely getting ALL the bits with it, but most of them, over the years have lost pieces, like the ashpan cover, the fret, the fireback etc.

Go to your local fireplace store and ask them for a quote, it is quite a simple set up you want, you will need a hearth too.

The issue I have , however, is that you state it is for a bedroom. If that room is still going to be used as a bedroom, I know you cannot use an open flued gas fire in that room, but not up on whether you can use an open fire in one. You will need to check this first before spending any money. Failing that, you can always have the cast insert fitted, but with no fire, purely for decoration.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,177 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, rb. Nearest main is 8 miles away so no gas here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure