Ill Child, education and Tax Credits

Options
My child 17 years old, has been withdrawn from college due to illness. Tax Credits will be withdrawn. Is she or are we entitled to any other benefit. She is suffering from Chronic Pain, Fybromyalgia and Depression.
Financially we are going to struggle, but mentally we need something for her to focus on in terms of education, preferably part time so she could actually do the course, can't find anything for under 19 years which is part time.
Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My child 17 years old, has been withdrawn from college due to illness. Tax Credits will be withdrawn. Is she or are we entitled to any other benefit. She is suffering from Chronic Pain, Fybromyalgia and Depression.
    Financially we are going to struggle, but mentally we need something for her to focus on in terms of education, preferably part time so she could actually do the course, can't find anything for under 19 years which is part time.
    Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is an excellent advice line for the type of help and support that you are requiring. Please give them a call.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there any chance at all that she could work on a very part time basis?

This might help her to re-focus - she could return to study later on?
  • ConcernedMom
    Options
    Thank you for the link it is the kind of thing that we have been looking for.
    Most appreciated.
  • ConcernedMom
    Options
    She is really struggling with coming to terms with her illness at the moment and we don't think she would be able to cope, even at a part time basis unfortunantly. She really wants to study.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Re - Benefits

PIP may be worth looking into for her.
    See: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/

Your local CAB may be able to help with the form and give other advice.

The Disability Rights helpline may also be able to advice on any possibility re ESA.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Re - Study

Would Open University courses or other distance learning courses be a possibility?
    Can the college suggest alternatives?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    If her intention is to continue in FTNAE then CTC can continue during a period of illness.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-technical-manual/tctm02230
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    What woudl she like to study? Might be possible to do it largely self-directed which woudl stand her in good stead for being an independent learner in the future
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What was she doing at college? I have a 17yo at college on a classed as 'full-time course'. He's there 2 and a half days a week! Yes he also has assignments to do, which he still thinks means 'do it on the day it's due in' but even if he was spreading his homework out, there's no way that's full-time or even as much hours as he was doing at school from the age of 4, whatever 'officialdom' classes his course as.

It's a BTEC level 3 computer course my DS is doing, but my friends 17yo son doing a different computer course, does even less hours. He's only in 2.5 days due to getting below a C in Maths, otherwise it would be 2 days. Her son doesn't even get homework.

Ask at the college about courses that would interest her, how many hours/days she'd attend and what the workload would be like to see if she could manage.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    What was she doing at college? I have a 17yo at college on a classed as 'full-time course'. He's there 2 and a half days a week! Yes he also has assignments to do, which he still thinks means 'do it on the day it's due in' but even if he was spreading his homework out, there's no way that's full-time or even as much hours as he was doing at school from the age of 4, whatever 'officialdom' classes his course as.

It's a BTEC level 3 computer course my DS is doing, but my friends 17yo son doing a different computer course, does even less hours. He's only in 2.5 days due to getting below a C in Maths, otherwise it would be 2 days. Her son doesn't even get homework.

Ask at the college about courses that would interest her, how many hours/days she'd attend and what the workload would be like to see if she could manage.

Just to add to this post, full time education is 12+hrs per week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure