Student and household help please

Options
2»

Comments

• AzzA101
    AzzA101 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for that Foxholes. I shall look into it!!:)

Just for clarification, would the whole marriage scenario solve our problems?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    AzzA101 wrote: »
    Thank you for that Foxholes. I shall look into it!!:)

Just for clarification, would the whole marriage scenario solve our problems?

Friends in a similar situation were told to make sure that the date of the wedding was before the first day of the academic year, to force student finance to assess them as a couple. not sure if the rules have changed, but if not you could be too late for this year.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AzzA101
    Options
    Thank you for that silver car. We will be starting in February or March so we can do it before our own academic year or does it have to be the national academic year of from September?

Sorry if I'm asking alot. It's just that I'd like to get as much information on the matter as possible before diving into anything!!!
  • woollisox
    Options
    Not to add another negative, but you generally can't work in a hospital on bank shifts in your first year of nursing. I'm just reaching the end of my first year and it has been hard (I'm not classed as independent yet, though I'm 24 year old and haven't lived at home for 6 or so years). My partner works full time and though it look awful to you now, you find a way through. As foxholes says hardship funds are fab (get a student bank account and keep any non student finance money away from this).
    Also I know you are trying to rush it through before the bursary goes out, but I'm on the bursary and I wish I'd waited. I would rather have a bigger student loan to pay back then struggle on the bursary as it's pitiful if I'm honest (£438 pm iirc). Work out financially if you'd be better off next year as the loan repayments are fairly small, and there's options to pay it back quicker if you need that piece of mind.
    Otherwise, congrats on your engagement if that's your other plan.
  • AzzA101
    Options
    Thanks for the reply woollisox!!

We both work as Nursing Assistance at the moment and currently do bank shifts as a form of overtime so we would just continue to do the bank shifts as NA.

Thank you for words of encouragement. We intend to have another look at our finances over the weekend and see what the score is. We also intend to research the whole marriage scenario and have indepth grown up talks. A fun weekend planned ahead!! :)
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    If you do decide to go down the marriage route, OP, be sure to carefully check the official start date for your academic, when the course starts in February. There used to be 4 official start dates: September, January, April and August. If this hasn't changed, your academic year will fall into the 1 January category, and you'd need to be married before that date.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • AzzA101
    Options
    Thank you for the reply starry night :)

Have you got a source for that info by ay chance please? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure