Gift Aid advice from other charity shop managers/workers

Options
Hello, first time poster here.
I work for a small charity that has two charity shops. I am hoping to get some feed back from other charity shop workers and volunteers regarding a Gift Aid.
We recently introduced a till system that allows us receive gift aided donations. I am trying get a realistic idea of what percentage of our donors will gift aid? Is there a any research around this? Do other charities set gift aid "targets". Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonder if this site can help you?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    I volunteer for a local charity and I would estimate that about a third of our donations are gift aided. A lot of donors genuinely can't as they are retired, unemployed, students and so on and a few won't for various reasons. A lot of people don't understand gift aid and think if they sign up to one charity it covers all the others. we found it helped to get a volunteer to spend a couple of hours a day explaining gift aid to customers and asking them to sign up rather than just trying to catch people when they brought in donations. We also have the problem of anonymous donations left outside the shop and business donations which are covered by different rules. Still every pound helps. You need to keep a record of people's gift aid number as they won't remember their cards.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    used to run a local charity with two shops

one was 50% of dontaions

the other with a CBA manager was about 14% - counldn't be bothered with the hassle - the revenue was such if they matched the other shop it would bring in £20,000 a year - but hey ho was related to a trustee who also couldn't give a toss
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • doogood
    Options
    Really appreciate the feed back!
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    Will be a lot lower these days than in the past. A lot of people don't pay any tax and you can only gift aid if you've paid enough tax to cover the gift aid tax relief. With the personal allowance rising to £11,500, there'll be fewer lower paid workers and pensioners paying tax. Also, last year, the banks stopped deducting tax from bank interest and there was a change in law that removed the 10% tax credit on dividends. So, there'll now be far more people who've simply not paid any tax, and therefore can't gift aid.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    My figures are for 15/16 so fairly up to date.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport