How to budget when payments are coming in at different times each month

Options
I have recently became a single parent. I am also a full time student. I am looking for advice and tips on how to budget not only because my income has significantly dropped but also due to payments coming in at different times each month.
My rent and bills mostly come out on the 1st of the month. However, my studrnt bursary come in on the third friday of every month, housing benefit (if i get any) comes weekly I believe, and tax credits get paid weekly.
How do i organise my finances to ensure my bills are being paid on the 1st of the month and also manage budgeting for other expenditures for the rest of the month.
Any advice greatly received! It's all just a bit stressful and worrying in my new situation.

Comments

• TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You save up enough money so that you have one months worth of expenses saved up before you even get paid. This then acts as a buffer to smooth the income and expenses over the month.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • sinkorswim13
    Options
    Thanks for your input. If I have enough money to see me through the first month from start to finish, and then ignore any payments coming in until the end of the month/beginning of the next month?
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest using 2 accounts. Open another one for your own spending, and have (if possible) the first month's bills aside so that it's paid. Then as each payment comes in pop a proportion in to the bills account, so that at the end of the month the money has been replaced ready to pay the next month.

This should be proportionate, so it would depend. If you have smaller payments that add up to most of the bills, pay them into the bills account, then top up from a bigger payment. Or, if you have one larger income that would pay it, keep the smaller ones in your day to day account.

I am finding that 2 accounts is helpful. Most of my bills come out on the 28th, some on the 15th, and a few on the 1st. That means having 2 accounts means I'm not having to work out what has been paid, what has still to be paid every time I get my debit card out. Mine are with TSB for bills, and Bank of Scotland for my day to day account (both interest paying, Bank of Scotland also gives cash back on purchases with their Everyday Offers). My salary is paid into the Bank of Scotland and I transfer the money for my bills to the TSB account each month. I have to have 2 direct debits on the Bank of Scotland, so my road tax and £10 mobile bill are set up there. Aside from that what's left is for me to spend and I can easily see what I have left :-)
  • DeterminedSingleMummy
    Options
    Hi

I'm in a similar position but I'm not a student. I have Income coming Into me 4 weekly and monthly at different times and doesn't matches my bills which come out first of every month.

I have one account where my income goes into (account a) and one account where my bills come out of (account b). And I budget weekly. I work out my bills/spending for the year and divide by 52 to get a weekly figure and then I transfer this amount every week from account a into account b so that by the 1st of every month there is enough money in there for bills...

I don't lose track of which week I've transfered as I use the date as the pence e.g. Monday 19th June I would transfer £500.19. Monday 26th June I would transfer £500.26 etc (assuming your budget for spending is £500)

I've done this for nearly two years now and it's helped me budget and keep track of where I am especially with four streams of income...

Hope that makes sense
    Balance at start of mortgage Dec 2011 £87500
    1 Jan 2015 = £73,735 Overpayments = £3,360 (average £280 p/m)
    1 Jan 2016 = £66,558 Overpayments = £4,770 (average £397.50 p/m)
    1 Jan 2017 = £57,756 Overpayments so far Jan £0 Feb £550 Mar £3022 April £690 May £1513 total £5775
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The answers above are about managing what is called 'cashflow', that is, making sure you always have a plus amount (a positive balance) in a bank account. Always a good idea, and keeps you in control of your own financial situtuation.

It can also be helpful to give yourself a bigger picture and plan your spending for the coming year, if you know how much you have been spending in the past. You can then use this as a basis for decision-making if your income has decreased.

This can be much easier if you are able to keep your bank-statements on your computer to analyse them, but it is also possible to do it on several large (A3) pieces of paper. (I know, because that is how I used to do it).

You write a list of everything you have spent September 1st last year to August 31st this year & every amount of money that has come in (or have them in a spreadsheet on your computer). Then you add everything up & end up with two totals - one for what you spent, one for money coming in. Then you compare the money that came in last year with what you are going to be getting this year from 1st Sep to 31st Aug next year.

If the 'out' is more than the 'in' then you have a closer look at the categories of your spending. You can have columns on your sheet such as
    • household bills
    • cash withdrawals
    • food shopping
    • travel expenses
    • clothes & shoes
    • presents
    • eating out
    • mobile phone
    Some items you will be able to trim back on, some you won't. There also may be creative ways round it like applying for free school meals or going on 'freec*cle' instead of buying new.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An old fashioned accounts book (they already have columns for ins and outs printed on the pages) is the answer, so you can keep a running total of what you have and be aware that (without going into negative) you can't spend all of £80, if there is a £30 bill/direct debit due before the next inwards payment.

This also gives an experience closer to the days when cash in hand wages/pensions were the norm and you could see what you had at any specific time.
  • greenlightluke
    greenlightluke Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2017 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Hey,

I recently just created a spreadsheet with all my fixed costs, long-term/short-term debt vs my income.

So I know my fixed costs equal a certain amount (rent, bills, any regular recurring payments like haircuts, Netflix etc) and because they're fixed i always know how much I'll have or need, took 15 minutes to do.

But I also have several accounts so I have one for food, bills, my own allowance, savings so when I get paid my money goes to the right account.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The problem is people confuse budget with cash flow.

The budget is the plan of where you want your money to go.
    Needs to be for at least a year to cover most things and have some of the longer needs included in the plan(saving up for things that are more than a year way).

Once you have the plan balanced a years money in allocated to spends bills savings etc you can do the cashflow analysis to decide when some of those payments need to happen.

you can do this on paper a spreadsheet or use a toll like MSmoney that has it built in with graphs to make it easy to visualise.

with the cashflow analysis you can see how big any buffer needs to be to never go negative

there are other mechanisms you can use like a CC you pay off in full that can give a months cashflow buffer, a 0% purchase card can give even longer

the trick is to make sure the total in is more than the total out over a period of time(year is good).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure