Removing black box? (Admiral)

Options
2»

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, makes sense I suppose, though why the details f the sim can't be passed amongst insurance companies

As soon as your policy expires, the insurer has no right to continue to track you so the company that provided the tech will kill the SIM over the airwaves so that no DPA breach occurs. Once a SIM is killed there is no resurrecting it :)
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It must be connected to the battery somehow, take out the fuse. Otherwise it must have an earth lead, disconnect that instead.

I doubt very much that it is anything more advanced than that, although it might just be plugged straight into the OBDP (looks like an old SCART plug) under the bonnet, so just unplug it.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2016 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Gordon861 wrote: »
    It must be connected to the battery somehow, take out the fuse. Otherwise it must have an earth lead, disconnect that instead.

I doubt very much that it is anything more advanced than that, although it might just be plugged straight into the OBDP (looks like an old SCART plug) under the bonnet, so just unplug it.

Power wise, that's correct - but there are very few vehicles where the OBD socket is under the bonnet. Only examples I can think of are now twenty year old Nissan Almeras like my wife had about 13 years ago, and BMWs with the big round diagnostic socket which isnt the same as an OBD socket anyway. There may be others, but the vast majority of cars I've come across, they're inside the cabin.

However, it is certainly feasible the black box could be plugged into an OBD socket, but it wouldn't be that useful for anything other than getting speed of the vehicle from the VSS, everything else would be dealt with via accelerometers and GPS receiver in the box itself.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Based on this from the op - "I just don't know how it wired up, and don't want to damage my car given that it's glued on with some seriously sticky material" - I doubt it's plugged into the OBD port...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There may be others, but the vast majority of cars I've come across, they're inside the cabin.
    That is because it is mandatory for the ODB socket to be within reach of the driver and has been for some time.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    That is because it is mandatory for the ODB socket to be within reach of the driver and has been for some time.

Well, yes, I know - but the poster I was quoting clearly didn't.

I could have said 'all recent vehicles will be inside the cabin', but I didn't because the OP hasn't told us what they're driving, so I wouldn't have wanted to be categorical in my statement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure