PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Perfect roast potatoes ? How do you do yours?

Options
claire21
claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 April 2014 at 5:35PM in Old style MoneySaving
Do you par boil?
I just watched James Martin , he did but for only one minute, I normally do 10 mins, I note some people don't par boil at all.

Boiled water from kettle or cold water and bring to boil ?

What do you do ?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as they start boiling the oil (normal veg oil) goes in the oven (preheated to 200) and I give the potatoes a good boil for 5 mins or so - drain and shake well to rough up and into the hot oil, leave for 20 mins and then give them a good shuffle about and turn in the oil and then leave for another 20 mins, another shuffle and leave until done. I always get crispy, crunchy potatoes this way - just how we like them.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't peel potatoes, just scrub and remove any eyes, cut into pieces and par-boil in a little water from the kettle in the mw on high til the outside is just beginning to break down, about 4 mins, then add to hot chicken fat saved from previous roasts. Turn once halfway through roasting. Never failed me yet.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do them the same as Pooky, apart from I pour oil onto the hot potatoes.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Cut, place in cold water and Part boil for 10-15mins.
    Shake in colander to fluff slightly and then into oven tin (I use lard) - turn occasionally.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Par steam for 15 mins then bang them about in the steamer to fluff up the edges. Then into a hot pan of melted lard and marg and Marmite, roll the spuds in this mixture then roast in the normal way. Yummy roasted marmite potatoes!
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    I microwave for couple minutes, then toss in flour and salt/pepper (some times I use semolina or one of those spicy coatings for wedges.) I then roast with no fat on one of those non stick baking sheets in the oven.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • Paula_Smith
    Paula_Smith Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anutie Bessies frozen ones are great - I passed them off as my own last Christmas (Other makes are available)
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anutie Bessies frozen ones are great - I passed them off as my own last Christmas (Other makes are available)

Have to agree on this one, my of my friends uses them and I can't tell the difference :)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tom Kerridge advises parboiling and then leaving them to cool spread out on a cooling rack before adding to hot fat.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options

Aldis goose fat potatoes.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills