Do I have to tell the council what I earn every week?

I started a job three months ago, and my income is usually around £80 per week, which is just over the JSA amount, which means that there's a tiny housing benefit deduction. I've told the council about the job and how much my average earnings are per week, and they're satisfied and everything's fine.

The thing is there's a possibility of me working extra hours from time to time, not every week, just sometimes. So what I need to know is, do I need to tell the council every single time I earn more than what I've told them?

Comments

• In theory yes as you could end up with an overpayment. I think I would ring or email them and explain what you have said and they will advise the best way to do this.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Definitely yes.

Take in your wage slips each week or month (whatever your pay cycle is) They will advise HOW they want the information, but they definitely will want it.
  • They've never asked in the past. They've just said at the start : tell us what you think you'll earn in the next 5 weeks. They've never followed up.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Dellington wrote: »
    They've never asked in the past. They've just said at the start : tell us what you think you'll earn in the next 5 weeks. They've never followed up.
    Any changes of circumstances MUST always be reported.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    Any changes of circumstances MUST always be reported.

That seems a bit over the top and very impractical to have to tell them what I'm earning from week to week. Like I say they've never asked me to do this before.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    That seems a bit over the top and very impractical to have to tell them what I'm earning from week to week. Like I say they've never asked me to do this before.

It's not the responsibility of the council to ask you for the information. It is your responsibility to inform them of ANY change of circumstance, and that included any change to your weekly/monthly income.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite

If you think that's impractical, you're going to love Universal Credit!

Are you seeking full time work, and/ or a second job? You'll be expected to do this once you're transferred to UC, and you'll have to sign on regularly.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you've been working and earning more than you stated without telling them and sending in wage slips regular then you'll end up with a rather large overpayment.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If you've been working and earning more than you stated without telling them and sending in wage slips regular then you'll end up with a rather large overpayment.

And possibly a criminal conviction if its passed to fraud to investigate.
  • Dellington wrote: »

My cousin is required to take her payslips in every month as her hours and pay fluctuate.

It’s not impractical, it takes her 2 minutes each time to get a receipt and leave.

They then adjust her payments to save large overpayments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure