Neighbour using my garden as storage

Options

Comments

• Cats_are_great
    Options
    How rude of him! It must be very upsetting and flustrating for you. I really wouldn't let him continue.

I have had a bit of a do with a neighbour...they basically tried to put a path onto my drive ooo the cheek.

It really stressed me out so I sat and thought about it and came to the conclusion that he was a bully and it wasn't going to work!

I acquired a copy of his deeds, told him I had, that it was very clear his actions were not lawful. He asked who would stop him. My reply was 'a court will stop you and you will pay for the pleasure'. He hasn't spoken to me since but the bricks he laid for a path have now gone.

A good property solicitor will charge around £75 for a nice letter, but this would result in a neighbourly dispute and would have to be declared if you sell up in the future.

Don't let him get away with it, it's upsetting you, it needs to stop.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    .... this sounds like a civil dispute rather than a criminal offence.

I think a civil dispute can turn into a criminal offence. If someone asks for the temporary dumping of rubbish on their property to cease, and it continues, it's also harrassment.

Councils do not allow the temporary nature of bin bags put out on the wrong day, or in the wrong place, to dissuade them from taking action against those who do that.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if your house insurance has a legal advice service included OP, ours does.
    They may be able to suggest solutions .
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think a civil dispute can turn into a criminal offence. If someone asks for the temporary dumping of rubbish on their property to cease, and it continues, it's also harrassment.

Councils do not allow the temporary nature of bin bags put out on the wrong day, or in the wrong place, to dissuade them from taking action against those who do that.

The OP says chains and padlocks something to the fence so it's hardly rubbish. Civil dispute all day long and maybe a trespass, which is also civil.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    The OP says chains and padlocks something to the fence so it's hardly rubbish. Civil dispute all day long and maybe a trespass, which is also civil.
    The salient quote from the OP is:

"but they just toss all their bags over the fence and put them in bins on collection day. We live in the country with lots of wildlife and I have pets and young children."

You're entitled to interpret that how you wish, but that's what happens, according to the OP.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The salient quote from the OP is:

"but they just toss all their bags over the fence and put them in bins on collection day. We live in the country with lots of wildlife and I have pets and young children."

You're entitled to interpret that how you wish, but that's what happens, according to the OP.

Over the fence to where?
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over the fence to where?
    Into his garden.

Can't you read the posts for yourself?
  • HarryMonkee
    HarryMonkee Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my posts and respond with helpful suggestions. I needed to find a solution which would bring and end to this matter as it has been dragging on for months.
    We debated 'allowing some of his rubbish to stray onto public land' but after talking it over with some friends they sent their son over, who happens to be a solicitor, to have a word with him. He introduced himself as our family solicitor and told him he is starting legal proceedings to solve this issue. I'm not sure exactly what got said but I expect he threatened him with possible imprisonment as the garden is now clear and I get a halfhearted wave if he sees me.
    When people ask stupid questions, I feel obliged to give sarcastic answers.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    the old fashioned solution to the problem.

The grown up version of my Dad is bigger than your Dad

My mates are bigger than your mates.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    the old fashioned solution to the problem.

The grown up version of my Dad is bigger than your Dad

My mates are bigger than your mates.

Or just, "We know the law and how to apply it."

Sometimes mates are useful, even the ones who are slightly built and bookish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure