Moving House, Renovations & OPs

Options

Comments

• Elephantchunks
    Elephantchunks Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 June 2017 at 9:53PM
    Options
    After making a plan for the food budget I have been and spent £38.35 on filling the freezer, snacks, tins and lunches (cheese, paste, jam, meats). Enough to last until the end of the month. We will only need to top up on milk, bread and fruit throughout the month.
    Now I just need to remember to defrost meat most nights which I'm not great at.
    Also spent £14.65 on rabbit food and bedding which will probably last at least 2x months. (Will buy them veg throughout the month too).

This was yesterday so first NSD today :D
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    Options
    Argh! I need a dimmer switch for my brain.
    It's been a 4 wees & 4 teas day at work today (ie. not too busy to wee or tea)
    Too much time to ponder though.
    Has anyone got any tips on being patient whilst waiting for something to happen? (Exchange/completion date)
    I'm really good at waiting usually. I love the anticipation, looking forward to special times like gigs, birthdays, Christmas and holidays. you get longer enjoyment out of the waiting than the actual experience.
    Waiting for an unknown day though is harder. DH e-mailed at work today saying "poke him." I don’t think our solicitor would take too kindly to being poked!
    Ah its the ifs and buts and not knowing Argghh.
    Should we pack or are we tempting fate?
    Do I even believe in fate?
    Will the locals be nice?
    What colour will we do the lounge?
    What colour should the fireplace be?
    I wonder if there are any craft clubs?
    I wonder if they will condemn the septic tank?
    Will I ever pass my driving test to be able to leave the new house (which has no path) on my own?
    And don’t get me started with am I sure I am doing the right think in moving?
    So far? Away from family? Not knowing anybody?
    Of course I am sure but the waiting just makes me keep going over and over the same questions.
    I need to fill my time, I have no tv but have been watching catchup recently, prefer not to do too much of that. Another plan is in order.
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    edited 14 June 2017 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Not a NSD today. Fruit purchased. I went for a lovely power walk for an hour at lunch via a shop to buy deodorant ('twas very warm). I'm working on gaining £ whilst losing lb plus walking is my way of meditating.
    Definitely a LSD, doing good so far.
    Tomorrow is a big day and will be very expensive but it is accounted for in the monthly budget...
    SPC14 #65
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Walking is definitely a good way of clearing your thoughts, I try to get out during lunch breaks too.

I'm rubbish at being patient at the best of times, but I found waiting to move, with all the unknowns, really was the worst kind of waiting, so you have my sympathies.
  • Elephantchunks
    Options
    Thanks EatingTheElephant. Much appreciated :). Must be patient. The walk really helped so I will be doing many more of them.

I've pencilled myself in for the only two weeks left available of holiday in the summer at work (first two weeks of August). Someone is already asking if they can have it instead. I don't know? I think that's a reasonable date to expect to move so I might just book it officially.

Failed my first driving test today. Totally expected it so I'm OK with it and I'm grateful to have had a new experience. Not told anyone in real life (other than DH) that I was doing it. I'm only mentioning it here because it's going to keep costing money for now.
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    edited 17 June 2017 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Here is my short term monthly budget:
    Food - £245.74/£300. £80.94 this week. Hopefully only milk and bread to be purchased from now on.
    Petrol - £63.79/£125. Looking good.
    Cigs - £67.46/£65. :eek: I have never added this up before. I'm shocked at this. May as well roll up notes and chuck them in the fire. This MUST change!!!
    Fun me - £84.80/£100. £52.75 car parts to get it ready to sell.
    Fun DH - £78.55/£100. £52.75 car parts £13.75 grandad gift.
    Driving lessons - £200/£225
    Extra saved - £4.20 bank rewards (I've added £0.80 to get it to a nice round £1500 :j)

Well at least we can see now where we are burning the £££. Everything else seems on track.

We did put our wardrobes + dressing table on ebay but they didn't sell so the BHF have collected the wardrobes today. There are fitted wardrobes in the new house but we would like to buy nicer ones in future.

I have too many clothes but I can't bare to get rid of any of them, most are charity shop bargains. I wonder, if I made a pile of loved clothes it will be interesting to see what's left? Maybe I'll just do it at the new house when I can see how much room I have got. Although, if I keep it all then I won't need to buy new clothes to replace any tatty ones in future. hmmm...
    SPC14 #65
  • Dogbooks
    Dogbooks Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Ah I'm sorry to hear about the driving test, fingers crossed for you for next time!

I know how frustrating the wait is, particularly when everything is out of your control. My tactic was to concentrate on another short term goal that I could tackle e.g. save more emergency fund money. It felt like I was achieving something whilst distracting myself haha!
    Goals for 2017:
    • [STRIKE]Complete purchase of house[/STRIKE]
    • Save emergency fund- £1200/ £9300
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your driving test, however the best people fail at least once I have found! :D

With your grocery spends have you read through any of the meal planning threads? I've found this a great inspiration and tips such as doing meat free days a few days a week, utilizing Lidl/also/tesco special offers on veggies and meal planning around these has saved us loads. Ours comes out at £30 per week roughly (we get toilet rolls and milk for free though)

I spent a lot of time going through my wardrobe at the start of the year and being ruthless with things and putting them on eBay if they are unworn for a year (but not a special occasion outfit)- we made quite a lot through this avenue and have overpaid it :)

Will subscribe to your diary to cheer you along the way!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Argh! I need a dimmer switch for my brain.
    It's been a 4 wees & 4 teas day at work today (ie. not too busy to wee or tea)
    Too much time to ponder though.
    Has anyone got any tips on being patient whilst waiting for something to happen? (Exchange/completion date)
    I'm really good at waiting usually. I love the anticipation, looking forward to special times like gigs, birthdays, Christmas and holidays. you get longer enjoyment out of the waiting than the actual experience.
    Waiting for an unknown day though is harder. DH e-mailed at work today saying "poke him." I don’t think our solicitor would take too kindly to being poked!
    Ah its the ifs and buts and not knowing Argghh.
    Should we pack or are we tempting fate?
    Do I even believe in fate?
    Will the locals be nice?
    What colour will we do the lounge?
    What colour should the fireplace be?
    I wonder if there are any craft clubs?
    I wonder if they will condemn the septic tank?
    Will I ever pass my driving test to be able to leave the new house (which has no path) on my own?
    And don’t get me started with am I sure I am doing the right think in moving?
    So far? Away from family? Not knowing anybody?
    Of course I am sure but the waiting just makes me keep going over and over the same questions.
    I need to fill my time, I have no tv but have been watching catchup recently, prefer not to do too much of that. Another plan is in order.

Feeling your anguish! I've got no solutions im afraid, but at least you have this diary to vent!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Elephantchunks
    Options
    Thanks for visiting peeps, lovely to see you here and thanks to your suggestions I have made a mini list. I do love a good list....

Dogbooks - Distraction - Short term goal - Save money.
    Kittenkirst - Read meal planning threads.
    Kittenkirst - Be ruthless - Put unwanted clothes on ebsy.
    Shangaijimmy - Vent. (That was quite a vent haha).

Thrash Metal is totally my vent today. It's been quite a few years since I listened to this! Raghhh!
    SPC14 #65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family