PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dyeing sofa covers?

Options

Comments

• lynnexxxo
    lynnexxxo Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DYLON-MACHINE-INTENSE-VIOLET-FABRIC-DYE-NO-30-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300402135874QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item45f15cd342#ht_1038wt_702

I bought mine from this ebay seller. I got 15 packs of the violet for total £45. Some of the colours are more expensive though.
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I think you would find it a false economy to buy less and hope for a lighter shade. What would probably happen would be that you would end up with patchy covers. I and friends of mine have found that it is essential to weigh items correctly and to buy the correct amount of dye.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • CelticLion
    Options
    I know someone has said above that it is ok to use a normal washing machine to dye sofa covers but we have very large sofas and I'm a bit worried they would come out patchy, has anyone else had this experience? Looking at the prices from the companies who do it we'd be looking at around £500 to do our 2 sofas so home dyeing would obviously be the preferred option.

Any advice appreciated.
  • Jacey53
    Jacey53 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    CelticLion wrote: »
    I know someone has said above that it is ok to use a normal washing machine to dye sofa covers but we have very large sofas and I'm a bit worried they would come out patchy, has anyone else had this experience? Looking at the prices from the companies who do it we'd be looking at around £500 to do our 2 sofas so home dyeing would obviously be the preferred option.

Any advice appreciated.

What about trying a laundrette? They have bigger machines and would probably not object if you ran it just with soap to clear any excess dye afterwards?
    Sealed Pot challenge 2011 member 1051 - aiming for £365
    Frugal living challenge 2011 £4044 or less!
    Make £11,000 in 2011 £0/£11,000
    Planning a hand-made Christmas 2011
  • lynnexxxo
    Options
    CelticLion wrote: »

Any advice appreciated.

Are your sofa cushions seperate? I have a large corner sofa and did mine in five lots. I would be wary of using a laundrette machine as even almost two months later the rubber at the front of my machine is stained purple. Doesn't seem to effect the clothes (my whites are still white) but I can imagine a laundrette would be annoyed.

For £500 you could buy one of these new bigger drum machines!
  • CelticLion
    Options
    lynnexxxo wrote: »
    Are your sofa cushions seperate? I have a large corner sofa and did mine in five lots. I would be wary of using a laundrette machine as even almost two months later the rubber at the front of my machine is stained purple. Doesn't seem to effect the clothes (my whites are still white) but I can imagine a laundrette would be annoyed.

For £500 you could buy one of these new bigger drum machines!

Yes the sofa cushions are seperate so I'm just concerned about the 4-5 seater sofa cover. I think I'll try that first, if it works ok the rest should be fine. I did think about using a laundrette but I didn't think they'd agree due to the dye but I might just ask anyway.

We have a baby on the way and a cream suite so it'll be worth a try anyway as I don't think the suite will stay cream for long if we don't!! :p
  • lynnexxxo
    Options
    You could always dye it twice in the hope that if its patchy the second dye will cover the patchy bits. I think as long as your sofa cushions are even then the actual cover (particularly if its against a wall) can be a bit less even.

Good luck.
  • CelticLion
    Options
    lynnexxxo wrote: »
    You could always dye it twice in the hope that if its patchy the second dye will cover the patchy bits. I think as long as your sofa cushions are even then the actual cover (particularly if its against a wall) can be a bit less even.

Good luck.

Just noticed on some of the Ebay sites that they say 'dry clean only' covers cannot be dyed. Anyone know if that's true? Our sofa covers say that but we've washed them a few times with no problems.

:(
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May 2010 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Have just won a lovely 3 piece suite on e-bay, complete with 2 sets of loose covers YAY!! :T:T Unfortunately they are in pale cream and pale gold :( - not what I need with 9 dogs & 2 cats :o - so am hoping to dye them dark green and terracotta.

I'm a bit worried about the size of my washing machine though - it's a washer dryer and seems quite small :(. Has anyone had success using a smaller machine to do the darker colours? By the way it is a two seater sofa.

Thanks in advance :D.

ETA: Thanks to lynnexxxo for the link to that e-bay seller - excellent prices!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumping this as I'm picking up my suite today :).
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure