University tuition fee

Options
So I have just completed a 3 year degree. Student finance cancelled my last tuition fees to the university and maintenance loan as they needed evidence. I sent the evidence and now they are requesting more that I cannot give them as the 2 organisations they need it from have changed hands so no longer have what I need. Now my uni is telling me I have to pay the full £7,700 directly to them and they are unable to help with a payment plan. I'm a mum of 2 and currently not working. Where do I stand with this? I cannot pay it in a lump sum. Will the uni send debt collectors? And is there another way of repaying it? Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you'll need to provide a better explanation of why your tuition fees payment was cancelled, and what sort of evidence it is that SLC are looking for.
  • SamanthaD90
    Options
    It was cancelled because they were asking for evidence that couldn't give them because the place I needed to get it from no longer held the information. My son's nursery had changed owner etc and they had no info from previous children there.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Normally the tuition fees are paid on evidence that you are registered as a student at the university.

Maintenance loan is based on application and partly means tested.

Childcare is based on evidence of paying for childcare.

If you have not evidenced something that requires it, they could demand repayment of elements already paid.

Which one or more of the first 3 do you fall down on? Are there any repayments being demanded that they have netted off outstanding payments that you have proved eligibility for?

From what you have said so far, I'm guessing that there is some childcare element that they have paid you and your inability to evidence means they are recalling some of it and taking it off the fees that they would be paying you for this year. Purely guesses trying to fill in gaps in your story.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SamanthaD90
    Options
    I had sent all evidence to receive my maintenance loan etc but they apparently had randomly chosen me and obviously others for anti fraud so cancelled my tuition fee and my loan until I could send evidence. But they was asking for evidence from years ago that I was unable to access. But for 3 years I have always sent my childcare forms in every 3 months without fail and attended uni regular to receive my maintenance loan.
    Now because student finance haven't paid tuition fee to my uni... my uni is now requesting it from me directly to pay the full amount! I do not have this money available and wondered what options I have in regards to paying for it and if they are unable to offer me some sort of payment plan will they then send it onto debt collectors? I'm concerned this will happen as I am unable to pay the full amount
  • silvercar
    edited 5 July 2017 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Is it childcare they want evidenced, or is it attendance/ enrolment ?

What evidence from years ago? 3 years of degree plus possibly your income from the previous year. I can't see what they would need before that.

Have you graduated yet? If not, then it is usual for the university to withhold awarding your degree until you settle all debts.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SamanthaD90
    Options
    They are asking for invoices from a nursery my child was at in the first year of my degree but due to the nursery changing ownership they no longer hold this information. They are asking for a tenancy agreement I had in a house I moved out of a year ago and because was through a private landlord we don't still have the tenancy as I no longer live there. I graduate in 2 weeks. They have not mentioned that they will be withdrawing my degree. Apparently they are putting me in touch with someone that can help me with gaining what evidence I need and if I can't will speak to them on my behalf but I have yet to hear back from this individual
  • silvercar
    Options
    Give what you can - rent statements/ bank statements showing rent and nursery fees paid........you can't be the first person in this situation.

If you have always sent information to them, then they have it. You could do a subject access request for £10, obliging them to dig out all the information they have on you - however stupid that sounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure