What age can children be legally left...?

Options

Comments

• nikkikl
    nikkikl Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    When my daughter was 11 she walked home on her own from primary school BUT that was only 70 yards from our house. She let herself in and waited for me to get home - 30 minutes maximum. Before I made this arrangement I asked the school what they thought and if that was ok (and checked it legally with the police). The school thought that given her maturity and the fact that we live next to the school, it was a good idea and promoted a certain independence. There were never any problems. My son is 7 and I would NEVER allow him ANYWHERE alone, not even to stay at home. Not even out to play - and we live in a relatively safe area. Not only isn't he old enough, he just isn't mature enough and maturity has loads to do with it.
    Although there isn't a legal age limit I should think the police would have a very dim view of it were they to find out - 8 is simply too you IMHO.
    I'm only smiling coz I don't know what's going on
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My sister is 7 years younger than me and i know i was left babysitting her just before i was 12.I also had a babysitting job myself for neighbours when i was about 15.

I was always sensible for my age, but there's no way i'd let my own 4 year old be babysat by a 12 year old.

I think 8 is too young to be left though.
  • one-non-blonde
    Options
    This is something I've always wondered about as well but several people have told me there is no law as such... it comes down to if something goes wrong while you're not there.

The past two houses we've lived in have had shops very close by (a couple of doors away or across the road) and I've often left the children for a few minutes (from about age 6 or 7) to buy a pint of milk or post a letter, after all there is nothing illegal in sending even a very young child to do the errand while you stay in the house! I took the view that the shop was much nearer than the end of the garden so hanging up the washing was theoretically more dangerous... ;)

However, I know what my children are capable of and it comes down to individuals. I've always tried to satisfy their natural curiousity in safe ways, eg. letting them help to lay a fire and teaching them how to handle matches so that they don't wait until my back is turned to 'experiment'. Also, I always check what they are doing, tell them exactly where I'm going and tell them not to answer the door until I get back. They're 8 and almost 10 now but I can't envisage a time in the near future where I would give them a key for the house. I know people who do and in all instances it's purely a sad by-product of the lack of affordable childcare and done out of desperation, not lack of parental care.
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • tobyjug
    tobyjug Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm in the majority with my concern, I must say it makes me sad too, he is a very bright boy and sometimes I think there is the assumption that just because a child is doing well at school that they are mature as well.

I popped round to my neighbours the other day...and within 2 minutes my son had come out (I was only at the door talking) worried that I hadn't come back as soon as he would have liked. There is no way he would feel happy on his own.

I think I might just pay a little bit more attention to what his friend does after school....just to find out a little more. Just in case I've been picking up the wrong info...

somehow I just don't think I have.
  • Matron_2
    Options
    I have always understood that the legal age of being home alone is 12 and over. :)
  • chardonnay_2
    Options
    i thought the law in scotland was it was okay after they reach 12
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • North-East_Quine
    Options
    My understanding of this is that in England and Wales children can be left on their own once they are 12 years old. However, in Scotland the law states that children (under 16's) must not be put at risk by being left unattended. That means that a sensible 10 year old could be left on their own but not a 'dopey' 15 year old!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no legal minimum age for leaving a child on their own, AFAIK. And I checked on the site Traf gave, and while there's a list of "At what age can I ..." questions, "... be left at home alone?" is not one of them, so I think I'm right! Plus if there were a legal age, wouldn't we be regularly reminded of it from the moment we brought our little darlings home from hospital?

I think the 12 we've all got in our minds is that you must not leave a child under 12 alone in a room with an unguarded fire alight. It used to matter a lot more in the days before we all had central heating, of course, but now those gas powered imitation coal fires are so popular it's something we should all be aware of.

So, a child can be left at any age. The police will consider prosecution if a child comes to harm while left alone. Social Services can become involved if it is thought the child is or may be 'at risk' through being left alone.

TobyJug, if you find your fears are correct, you could ask at school if they are aware of the situation. If they are, they may already be trying to address the problem with the parents. If they're not, I feel they should be. Because 8 is too young to walk home alone to an empty house, regardless of the child's maturity, for all the reasons already given.

Do the parents not care, or have they not thought through the dangers, or do they just feel so desperate they can't think what else to do? My response would depend on my perception of those questions. Depending on the child, I'd happily help desperate parents by having such a child to tea once a week, if I could.

And for what it's worth, I started allowing my older two to walk TO school alone from Year 4: we were very close and there was always a steady stream of their friends and their parents going down the road. Plus, the youngest would make the older two late on a regular basis, which is why I started booting them out as soon as they were ready. Always used to check they'd arrived once I got to school though!

Coming home alone was not an option before Year 6. The youngest was allowed to come with his brother from Year 4, but not to an empty house.

Now, I swear they wouldn't notice if I left for the weekend without telling them, but that's teenagers for you. :D
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Sofa_Sogood Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    tobyjug wrote:
    I'm glad that I'm in the majority with my concern, I must say it makes me sad too, he is a very bright boy and sometimes I think there is the assumption that just because a child is doing well at school that they are mature as well.

There's some really bright kids about tobyjug, but people should remember there's some evil adults about too.

The thought that it only takes seconds to snatch these kids off the street horrifies me.

I know it seems like interference but I'd keep an eye on him as you suggested. Better to be an interfering old bod than a regretful one.

Hope it all turns out well anyway.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's some really bright kids about tobyjug, but people should remember there's some evil adults about too.

Evil kids too remember...walking to and from school, children, even at primary school, can be subjected to some horrendous things from their peers. This then falls back on the school to resolve the problem, even though the children were ultimately under parental responsibility as the incidents take place away from school premises.

As for latch key kids...there are more of them than you realise. I can think of at least 3 9/10 year olds who look after their younger brothers and sisters before and after school so that a parent can work a full day. unfortunately, social services are so short staffed these days, a file is created on these families when reported and resurrected if and when something goes wrong.

As for the babysitting, a mature 14 year old looking after children is much better than an irresponsible 18 year old. I baby sat regularly for 1 family from the age of 14, for children who were 6 and 8 and we used to have a great time together...plus I enjoyed the responsibility + cash. All were safe at all times, the parents had talked me through different situations which may arise and the best things to do in those situations.

A caring parent will try to always make the best decision for their children...and this sometimes means leaving them with an under 16.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport