PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sunday 16th October

Options
redruby
redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
edited 16 October 2016 at 7:10AM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning all,

Pouring with rain here and is meant to be for most of the day I am off to work which is probably going to be quiet due to the weather we are not really a place to go in the rain.

Got some pork chops out of the freezer last night so they will be for dinner tonight, OH will be in charge of domestics today.

We had a good clean through the house yesterday so not too much to do today, beds will need changing and re making and washing putting away.

Marie sending hugs to you my lovely xx

Have good days all xx

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Lainey Thinking of you and your mum xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]meanmarie xx
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The doorbell. Scampi has gone from “Someone's attacking us! Must bark, growl, snarl and leap at the door like a maniac til they go away and if they don't I will eat them!” to “Oooh there's someone at the door, who is it? I'm sooooo excited to see them!”. I'm still working on it and will hopefully get to the stage where he says “I'll just sit here on my cushion while you open the door, then when you let the person in and close the door, I will come over to say hello”.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm not holding my breath :rotfl:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Oh I love this time of year, I've already cosied myself in for the next few months :D I suppose I'll have to leave the house sometimes but will limit it to absolute needs, lol. Actually I fancy a few trips to the arboretum (Cyril Hart, for anyone who knows the Forest of Dean), it's never crowded and Scampi loves to run around there, so many sticks and leaves to play with :D And as he'll be off-lead, he'll get on with every dog he meets. Bliss.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The holey pumpkin is still sat on the worktop in the kitchen. Mr tru is wondering what to do with it, I told him the inside will be drying out nicely so he'd better decide soon, lol. As he's the only one who likes pumpkin and there's no room in the freezer, I think we should chop it up and feed it to the chickens :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's pouring with rain here, I'll only be going outside to run down the garden to let the chickens out. The washing machine's just finished so I'll hang the clothes on the airer in a mo. I want to vacuum the floors, I suppose I should wait til everyone's awake :D[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's raining hard here this morning. I am the only one up which is amazing as we have the grandchildren staying :). They did have a late night though so hopefully they will sleep on a little longer.

Hubby is in charge of cooking dinner today and we are going to have roast beef with all the trimmings. Hopefully it will be delicious. I am going to be in charge of arts and crafts as the grandchildren want to make pompoms. I bought a set of pompom makers as they are a lot easier and quicker to use than the old way of using cardboard rings.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs so I will have to go and be on breakfast duty now. Hope you all have a lovely day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for the thread REDRUBY. Dark and dismal outside but forecast to brighten up this afternoon. Might get a bit more garden sorting done (or may not!)

Another rubbish night for me. I seem to have so much on my mind just now and it escalates in the early hours when all is quiet.

There was a special request for a meat and potato pie for lunch so I left some diced beef in the slow cooker overnight in readiness. It smelled delicious when I came down. I usually batch make a mountain of pastry and freeze in blocks but I have run out and need to make more.

DS just come down to join me. He's not sleeping too well either since the split. He ordered some pictures last night for his new pad and then, when internet roaming, spotted a black freezer on a special offer too good to miss! So guess what else will be sitting in our hallway until he moves!

To add to the chaos we have the 3 DGDs sleeping tonight, for school run tomorrow. It's their dad's w/e for having them (DD working) but his GF is away and not back to do the school run. Grandma and Grandad to the rescue once again!

Have a good day all and (((HUGS))) to all the poorlies/worried/stressed out. Take care whatever you are up to xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning folks might go to a car booty and have a look at some junk ..haha
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all
    Enjoying the peace as I am the only one up.
    DW is on. Got some ironing to do tonight.
    We have DD1 and DGD today. We pick them up about 930ish and they are with us for the day. Brunch first then have to pick up a sewing basket I got from fb yesterday. Going to pop into kiln farm furniture shop whilst we are that way. I am hoping to find a more comfortable chair for myself to use as our sofa is past it now
    Dinner will be roast chicken and the trimmings.
    Got some sticker sets for DGD yesterday at the R@ng@ that had been reduced to 50p . That's 500 stickers per set. So DGD will be happy.
    Anyhoo DH has just got up so better make him a coffee .
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

redruby - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, damp underfoot after rain during the night, rain forecast for most of the day - the original forecast said Saturday was going to be rainy with today being sunny - they obviously changed their minds somewhere along the line, and I failed to notice! I have wet washing indoors trying to get dry.

DH and myself up and enjoying first peaceful cuppas and brekkie, I've also showered and dressed. Boys still in their pits, they can have a lie in.

Lunch today is going to be roast chicken, roasties, mash, carrots, brussels, broc, peas, stuffing, yorkshires and gravy, apple crumble and custard for dessert if anyone wants some. Yesterday we visited my parents and the outlaws, and DH suggested we'd have fish and chips from the chip shop in the next village, the traffic was horrendous so we ended up doing a detour to get there and when we arrived we found it shut and a sign in the window saying they will re-open on Tuesday - not much good to us on a Saturday! - so we came home and I reverted back to my menu plan with a slight adjustment - all eaten and enjoyed and most importantly NOTHING SPENT - so the GC budget still in tact even though I've gone over I don't want to spend any more, new month starts on Friday - have everything I need.

This morning DH and myself are going to visit his friend as he wants some advice re a new to him caravan he's bought, we'll help/advise if we can. We also need to stop off at our caravan whilst out and about to pick up a sleeping bag and flip flops for DS2 - as he needs them for when he goes away next Monday.

Hoping once we've eaten lunch, it'll be a chilled day.

Edit to add - the aforementioned rain has now arrived and is bouncing off the windows!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,880 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, thanks for the thread redruby xx hope work isn't too horrendous.

It's stair-rod rain here and DD has rugby training at 9.30am. Wondering why I bothered to wash her kit last night as it wasn't really dirty - will be today......... :(

We have roast chicken and trimmings for late lunch today. DH has a rehearsal from 4pm and I am going to see Buck's Fizz in concert tonight with some girlfriends. Should be a laugh! The children will be making toasties for their tea tonight.

Meanmarie - sending hugs xx
    prosaver - hope you find some treasure at the booty!

Have a good day all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

After a dreary day yesterday we had a spectacular sunset with blazing red and pink clouds. Today the sky looks clear and the winds are high already.

I retired to bed to watch SCD. Five minutes later a neighbour called round with some home made apple crumble with apples from her tree. I'll be having that today.

No real plans apart from a little light housework. I lit the wood burner yesterday afternoon for only the second time since spring. As I lit it I realised that I hadn't cleared it out after heavy use so I'll do that. I've got an ash vacuum cleaner which makes life so much easier and the ash will go on the field.

TA - a black freezer is such a male thing, it'll help your DS feel at home in his new place. I once had a matching dark red fridge and freezer. Electrolux I think.

Happy Sunday everyone.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:00AM
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Another one here with rain and lots of it, DOH got up for the girls and let me sleep in, heaven.

Emotional evening yesterday as talked through a lot of things with DM and DB, all practical arrangements are now made so we can be sure that what we do is what Mum, which will be a comfort.. DB's family were out at another family do so it was just the three of us, can't remember the last time that was the case and we sat on the sofa, with Mum the filling in the sandwich :)
    She has her brother coming to see her today so will have a quiet day at home. We will have a roast chicken with all the trimmings for lunch, followed by apple crumble. I did want to pick all the apples off the tree but will see if the rain stops and if my energy levels go up!
    Sorry you are not sleeping so well TA we should start an insomniacs club!

Have a good day all, take care folks x
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Another one here with sleep problems, don't seem to have had a decent night for ages.

Picked DS2 and GF up last night, their flight was slightly delayed so it was 10.30 by the time they collected their bags. They then wanted to stop at Asda for their shopping. They've just left with the car packed to the gunnels for a week camping. In the west of Scotland. In October. Ah well, what it's like to be young!

House all tip top for the visitors, not that they would have noticed for the short time they were here, they will be back next weekend. Washing up to date too, just hung one load out but I think rain is forecast for this afternoon.

Need to pack a bag for tomorrow but apart from that not much happening. Hope you all have a good Sunday. Take care. XX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure