'Some people (Nationwide) just don’t recognise sarcasm' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• batvink
    batvink Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is a fair reply to NationWide's ad agency. In reality their own request was deceitful as they did not disclose that they represented a company engaged in the practises they were trying to imply were not part of their repertoire.

It would be like writing "Never buy non-endorsed printer ink" on non-endorsed printer ink, to cement a non-existent link with the genuine product.

If accepted, it would have garnered sarcastic laughs at the ad agency.

There are some saddening stories in this thread, but unfortunately it is at times like this that you are most vulnerable to covert sales tactics like auto-renewal. You are agreeing to purchase a product 12 months in advance without agreeing a price. If you are not able to check that price at point of sale, then you are very likely going to be paying an uncompetitive price.

The devil is in the detail. If you call and reject their renewal price, they will almost always offer you a "discount". Hence they have given you an uncompetitive original price. This fact should be enough to change the way the auto-renewal market works from a legal standpoint.
    Thanks in advance,

Steve V
  • tenuissent
    Options
    I agree Martin should not lend his name and reputation to an individual company's marketing strategy, and his suggestion of those extra words was a way of pointing out to them the irony of their request, and was, of course, also a firm NO.

On the other hand, auto-renewal is acceptable provided the insurer, as mine does, gives you a month's reminder before doing it; then you have time to look around for a better deal. Or if you are preoccupied by illness, accidents etc, it can save you time, if at possibly extra cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure