DRO Help (Hired Purchase)

Options
Hiya all, new here and after some advice.

I am currently looking at speaking with StepChange to submit a DRO application but have an issue.

Bit of my Back story:
Separated from my wife and painfully trying to go through a divorce and sort my life out. Left the "family home" and I am now sofa surfing with no fixed abode.

Problem:
Stupidly while married I took out agreements with... dun, dun, duuuuun... Brighthouse.

Not since separating my "wife" who was still paying the agreements has stopped, got rid of the items and now I have been left with the Brighthouse debt. This week will be the first payment I have missed. I cannot afford it. It's eaten into everything I had.

With the current state of things and persuing a DRO, will this cover the debt I still owe Brighthouse or will it not as they are "current" hired purchases.

I need this sorted as it is hanging over my head and it's affecting me and stopping me getting my life back on track. :(

Please reply, whether it's help or a scalding for being stupid enough to take Brighthouse debt.

Thanks.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It's just a normal qualifying debt. Just put whatever remains under the contract on to the application.

If you still had the goods and they were essential household items that you still required, that would be a different answer.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 April 2017 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Just another normal qualifying debt as Fatbelly says.

Get your application sorted, it can be approved, up and running before bright house even realize you've missed a payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JohnWhite1309
    Options
    Thank you fatbelly and sourcrates. Getting the application sorted this week.

I'm worried about forgetting some debts, some go back years and I'm sure I have 1 that doesn't contact anymore. I have noted everything on my credit report, but is it possible for something to be missing?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Thank you fatbelly and sourcrates. Getting the application sorted this week.

I'm worried about forgetting some debts, some go back years and I'm sure I have 1 that doesn't contact anymore. I have noted everything on my credit report, but is it possible for something to be missing?

Yes, there are lots of reasons why a debt may not appear on your report. The main non-reporters are water authorities, councils and dwp

Generally if you haven't made a payment to a debt, or acknowledged it in writing, for a period of 6 years, it's unenforceable.

It's a case of doing the best you can with the application. Sometimes it's worth getting a report from all 3 CRAs in case records differ but if you're giving them all your previous addresses they shouldn't.
  • JohnWhite1309
    Options
    Thank you again fatbelly. The credit report I have is a free one from Noddle. What other reports are there so I can try and see if there's other debts showing?

:-)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you again fatbelly. The credit report I have is a free one from Noddle. What other reports are there so I can try and see if there's other debts showing?

:-)

Experian and Equifax.

Both are available free from certain 3rd party websites, Google is your friend here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure