Windows 7 hangs when trying to check for updates

Options
hubb
hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
My Windows 7 setting have always been set to automatically check for updates but I have noticed that it hasn't updated since Nov 2016. STill my settings are on automatic updates and when I "check for updates" it checks but hangs endlessly. I have re-started the computer to no avail.

Can anyone help please ?

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, first step would be to try microsofts "fix-it" tool here :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Let us know how that goes for you - It had mixed results
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After that try doing them 1 by 1, then 5 by 5 till you figure out the blocker, you may need to reboot between some updates and when you install some updates more may appear and it may be those that the "difficult" one is needing.

I once spent 6 hours in an internet cafe doing this for a friend, they paid for the super grand latte's !
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • hubb
    Options
    I downloaded the 5 Windows6.1-KB3164033-x64 files and installed them (took ages and a couple of reboots) I now can check for updates successfully but now it says "downloading 41 updates - 0kb total and 0% complete" which now hangs endlessly.

The reason I was prompted to update (not sure why windows decided to ignore updating since last November) was because I had installed Adobe LIghtroom 6 update which now can't run because of a missing runtime 1-1-0.dll
  • AndyPix
    Options
    I have had similar situations where i have just left it like that overnight and by the morning it had kicked in and updated successfully.
    Other times not.

If you have the time and inclanation then it might be fruitfull trying Edwards suggestion.
    If it were me, im lazy and would at least try leaving it overnight first.
    (First editing the power settings so it doesnt go to sleep !)
  • hubb
    Options
    It's just started to show progress downloading so will give it a chance.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    ^^ Boom :)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They do use a sort of Torrent type file transfer (Akamai) so sometimes you have to wait till files are available.

Funny how they say 5 and then bam there are more to come.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi, first step would be to try microsofts "fix-it" tool here :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Let us know how that goes for you - It had mixed results

Why does it need users to start installing "fix it" tools.

How about they ensure that the software they sell actually works as described for once.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Welcome to the whacky world of Microsoft.

My current pet hate is buying an xbox game and then having to download 50+Gig of updates before it will even play !!

Put another disk in the box !!!!!!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had my son in law's lappy the other week to change the BIOS battery and noticed it hadn't updated for many months and cpu was running at 25% on a dual core so a classic symptom. Left it running from afternoon all night, in the morning it had found updates timed at 0400 !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure