Health Insurance with regular health-checks included

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking to pay for an annual health check with somewhere like Nuffield Health, costs around £600-800 for a check-up for a variety of things, I'm in good health it's just to optimise my diet, exercise and stress levels to the best level they can be really.

A colleague of mine mentions she gets them free via her health insurance per month.

Can anyone recommend whether I'd be better off paying annually on an ad-hoc basis for these private healthcare checks, or, should I be looking at a dedicated monthly health insurance etc. Such as Vitality Health that includes one yearly (no idea if they're good or not).

I've got no other insurances in place so potentially I should be looking to sort income protection, life insurance and health insurance under the one provider?

Thanks.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you clarify what you mean by health insurance? Is it private medical insurance or permanent health insurance?
    I've got no other insurances in place so potentially I should be looking to sort income protection, life insurance and health insurance under the one provider?

The best life assurance policy is not likely to be the same provider as the best PMI or PHI (depending on which you are looking for).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Posts: 100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean by health insurance? Is it private medical insurance or permanent health insurance?

The best life assurance policy is not likely to be the same provider as the best PMI or PHI (depending on which you are looking for).

I’ve no idea to be honest of the difference, I just want regular health-checks and support if I need referring to other sort of physios, therapists or dieticians.

NHS doesn’t tend to be tailored or personalised enough.

I was set to pay around £700 for this pet year but as I said, places like Vitality do ‘Health Insurance’ packages with it inclusive, is it just another term for private medical cover?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    imho, annual private checks are gimmicks, they just tell you what you already know, lose weight and diet.

What you want to keep an eye on is diabetes and blood pressure which you can from your regular GP and it's free.

I guess if you want to pay someone and get quicker service fair enough
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Posts: 100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    imho, annual private checks are gimmicks, they just tell you what you already know, lose weight and diet.

What you want to keep an eye on is diabetes and blood pressure which you can from your regular GP and it's free.

I guess if you want to pay someone and get quicker service fair enough

I appreciate that, I'm not overweight it's just that I like to look after my health, and would like to compare exercise routines and certain diets/lifestyles with my results each year, it's just an interest of mine in all honesty. NHS don't offer me some of the following that private health checks can. I'm very busy also so a 2-3 hour slot is ideal for me rather then multiple NHS appointments.

Full biochemistry profile including liver and kidney function
    Blood glucose (diabetes)
    Cholesterol test and full lipid breakdown
    Analysis of nutritional status
    Computerised spinal assessment
    Lung function test
    Measurement of physiological resilience to stressors
    Blood pressure
    Resting ECG
    Cardiovascular risk score
    Dynamic cardiovascular test using ECG or Aerobic Fitness test
    Analysis of metabolic syndrome risk.

The question at hand is more so around cost though, is it more sensible for someone in my position to be signed up with an insurance company for some sort of health package?
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Vitality offers half price health checks with the main providers - and free mini checks with Lloyds pharmacy. You can get up to two a year.

It also offers half price gym membership with Virgin active and certain Nuffield gyms and if you go to the gym more than 3 times a week (or walk/run with an app tracker or apple watch) you get a free cineworld or vue cinema ticket and starbucks drinl once a week. It also offers other benefits - including up to 50% off Eurostar and 40% off a BA European flights and free ocado deliveries/discounted apple watches. If you use the freebies you can make a profit on it!

I doubt any providers offer free health checks monthly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure