PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can't sell due to neighbours (Scotland )

Options
Currently we own a first floor flat in what was a gorgeous building. Unfortunatly antisocial neighbours moved in next door. 2 neighbours moved out but were unable to sell due to the state that the neighbour has made of the property and back court. They ended up letting their flats. Sadly the neighbours 2 sons rented these flats so we are left with a whole corner section if the building that's now a slum.

I need to move for health reasons as I can no longer manage the stairs. I can't sell, 2 estate agents walked into the entrance of the building and turned and left as the stench of dog faeces and urine assaulted them. Between the 3 flats they have 10 dogs none of which are w lied so defacate and urinate into their garden.

The whole thing us making us ill. The local council have told them to get it fixed but they ignore it, they ignore fines, jail is a home from home.

I think I might just gave to resort to one of these companies that buy properties. Does anyone have any experience of any of them and are there any that's less bad than the others. Without selling, I won't be able to rent a housing association home which I'm applying for.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Investigate auctions first - as that's likely to be all that "these companies that buy properties" are likely to do with yours, after ripping you off and taking their own cut.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    People here don't recommend "We buy any house" companies.

For hard-to-shift property, auctions are probably the best route to a sale.
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, I never even thought of auctions. For some reason I'd just thought if those as fir repossessions etc. I'll go have a look. All if the we buy any house type companies have these glossy websites that promise the earth but I'm not naive to believe their blurbs. I'm just desperately needing to get out if a dreadful situation. The sat thing is my lovely downstairs neighbour and I keep our part of the building immaculate but no one sees that when they have to pass by piles of stinking dog poo.
    I know I wouldn't buy somewhere where that was my first impression
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mudgekin wrote: »
    Thank you so much guys, I never even thought of auctions. For some reason I'd just thought if those as fir repossessions etc. I'll go have a look. All if the we buy any house type companies have these glossy websites that promise the earth but I'm not naive to believe their blurbs. I'm just desperately needing to get out if a dreadful situation. The sat thing is my lovely downstairs neighbour and I keep our part of the building immaculate but no one sees that when they have to pass by piles of stinking dog poo.
    I know I wouldn't buy somewhere where that was my first impression

If it is auctioned there will be set viewing times so arrange to have the offending areas professionally cleaned prior. I know you shouldn't have to but a small cost for peace of mind
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I am wondering if the same thing applies in Scotland as in the rest of the country here. That being whether there is a question about disputes/possible disputes on a legal questionnaire and buyers are able to come back on the seller if they give misleading replies?

Does that legal questionnaire apply in Scotland too?
  • mudgekin
    Options
    Scotbot wrote: »
    If it is auctioned there will be set viewing times so arrange to have the offending areas professionally cleaned prior. I know you shouldn't have to but a small cost for peace of mind

Sadly I can't have the areas cleaned as the area in question is their property. Anyone coming to view mine has to pass this disaster area complete with old beds, rubbish and the dog mess.

If I thought I could clean it I would but I'd clean it, then the next times the dogs were out we would be back to square one.

I'm just at the end of my tether now.
  • mudgekin
    Options
    I am wondering if the same thing applies in Scotland as in the rest of the country here. That being whether there is a question about disputes/possible disputes on a legal questionnaire and buyers are able to come back on the seller if they give misleading replies?

Sadly it does and of course because I've been onto the council numerous times both environmental services and animal control that alone will be an issue. Aberdeenshire council have been great but there's only so much they can do too. I love the winter, the stench is reduced
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

If the first thing that people encounter when visiting the property is dog poo the questionnaire is the least of the OP's worries.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Landlords in Scotland have a legal responsibility to ensure that their tenants are not a nuisance to the neighbours. Have you raised a complaint with the landlords - your former neighbours who have left you in the s h i t?

I'd also keep on at the council and maybe contract the SSPCA too.

I feel for you as this is a horrible situation to be in.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you reported it to Environmental health?

Our neighbour shut their dog out in the garden all day and never walked it. the garden stank and the weeds were three feet high.

We couldn't go into our back garden without smelling it.

Environmental health visited and told them to clean it up. Several friends arrived and spent a whole day cutting down the weeds and cleaning the garden - they filled a skip with black bags of rubbish.

The dog warden also visited about the dog being shut out all day, in all weathers with only a cushion to lie on and a bowl of water.

Many years ago a friends as reported to Environmental Health as there were several small piles of dog poo in his garden. As many dogs do his dog moved about when going and rather than one pile left several. He cleaned the garden every day bit when he was at worked his pregnant daughter looked after the dog and he didn't want her cleaning it up- he did it hen he came home.

Environmental Health told him he had been reported under an ancient Scottish Law that you were only allowed three piles of poo!

A neighbour on a side street, who overlooked the the back garden, had reported him.

Strangely, he was advised to take his dog across the road to the grass verge to toilet where the neighbour wouldn't see it. Something he would not consider doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure