Comparison sites & motor insurance

Options
Feeling absolutely savage, just spent a couple of hours on the comparison sites, best quote was just over £220 less than 2 hours later, I went back to the first comparison site to buy, clicked through to Admiral & the quote has doubled.
Went onto Admirals Live Chat & apparently comparison sites don't work in real time, they update weekly.
Tried another company through a different comparison site who were cheaper but would have to buy legal cover on top, that has also doubled.
I have never ever known this to happen before, the price the comparison site quotes has always been the price I paid when I went through to buy. Is this a way of getting customers in & hope they don't notice the huge increase?
Be very careful & check if you're buying through a comparison site.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Did you change any information between quotes? Especially things like the start date of the policy...

If nothing has changed, don't requote just click on the link in the email they sent you with the quote.

The prices are usually honoured for a fixed period (I.e. 30 days) or until the start date of the policy if less than the fixed period.

I suspect you've changed the start date you put in on the initial quote...
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, there was nothing to change, the start date is still the same as it was when I started the quotes, 13 October.

I always use the tool on here and go through all the sites & then the few insurers who aren't on comparison sites & click through to the company via the email from the comparison site of the insurer who seems to be the best.

It's the same way I've done it for years & have never known the prices to change from the comparison site.

Maybe the insurers feel they're paying out too much commission to the comparison sites & are trying to squeeze them out.

Two different comparison sites two different insurers & both their prices are double the quoted one.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The original quotes should still be valid. Purchase through one of those.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The original quotes should still be valid. Purchase through one of those.

That is what I tried to do through two different comparison sites & two different insurers, both had changed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure