PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silly question again (i will be giving loads i apologise in advance) i have always stayed away from shopping online cause you have to pay for delivery and i have heard that you dont always get what you order ...is it worth it ? can you use these codes in the shops?....

i have never heard of approved food triker ...thanks alot for that link ...i will be researching it tonight (am night shift and i am gonna try and sneak my laptop into work)

i have so much to learn ...i did make small changes before soap nuts (not a big fan to be honest) stardrops(yep love em) and cheaper brands ...those have stayed with me ....thanks that havnt breadmaker (i found i was making a loaf hubby ate it within a few hours and i still had to go buy a loaf a day so no saving) slow cooker ( i kept trying but really didnt enjoy the food) (but maybe that needs to change)

this is going to take me a while but i really want to get to grips with it
  • elantan
    Options
    Triker wrote: »
    Here's a thread on freezing sandwiches for packed lunches, if all you can do is collapse when you get home you'll not be in the mood to make yourself some food for the next day.;)

There's loads of tips on good, nutrious and cheap packed lunches.

i tried making sandwiches and freezing before but it didnt work ...maybe i was doing it wrong (eh no doubt lol) but i also found (cause i have no imagination) that it was the same thing day in day out and you get fed up with it ...so before you know it it was out to a van etc (i dont take food to work just hubby)
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    silly question again (i will be giving loads i apologise in advance) i have always stayed away from shopping online cause you have to pay for delivery and i have heard that you dont always get what you order ...is it worth it ? can you use these codes in the shops?....

Well I've only ever used Tesco and there's usually tons of codes to bring the cost right down for them, the trick is to use bogof as much as poss. There's a bit on the online ordering where you can request that you get substitutions or not if they don't have what you want in.

I think online shopping has come a long way.

I don't know what's near to you but Ocado that deliver for Waitrose have codes see Martins front page, think there's one for this week. Waitrose have brought out their own 'basics' range which is getting great reviews for quality and value for money.

Home bargains is another brilliant shop, for cheap food but if your pushed for time I'd look to do one big shop in store or online.

Obviously the supermarkets are good at reductions, tends to be later in the evening but you can get some good bargains to stock up on, can be hit and miss though.

Good luck, I know its a tall order starting at the beginning but I'm sure you'll get there.;):D xx
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • elantan
    Options
    cheers triker ...i know with your support and others i deff will ...it is quite a mountain to climb but hey it will be worth it ...

i did pop in when i was in dfw but i have to admit spent alot of my time with scratch cards etc ...and it all works there is no doubt about it ...this time i need to make the other changes ...i know about the s.o.a and the scratch cards and transferring etc ...now i need to learn the job of proper budgetting cooking cleaning etc

i do like the fly lady but i just cant see me ever having the time ...it will take me so long to do all this and try to keep up with what i am currently doing ...but you never know
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2009 at 7:47PM
    Options
    Perhaps this thread might give you a few ideas.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=697339
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    OMG Elantan, you never told me you were veggie....hangs head in shame.:o

Good luck with the budget, i find meal plan then shop plan always helps. Look on the grocery challenge thread there is a big recipe thread at the beginning and lots of cheap ideas.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    The whoopsie section of MrS seduced me again this evening!:o Spent less than £12 & got two packs of TTD Lincolnshire sausages, 500g lean steak mince, 2 whole mackerel, ¼ kg cod fillets & ¼ kg lemon sole fillets. So plenty of meals there!:D

Running this month through to 31st, as we are going to Oz for 3 weeks on 1 Aug, so 6 weeks. But DD is going to her Dad’s on Saturday until we go away; I have the necessary for her remaining 3 pack-ups & don’t need to provide her with any more dinners, as 2 at the childminders & one at her best friend’s.

Should therefore only need milk & a few bits & bobs for the rest of the month for me. If only I can keep away from the whoopsies … still there will be plenty in for when we get back! :p
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yippieeee!:j
    Having a fantastic day... looks like we're gonna be on the move again!!;)
    Our grocery budget is on target and I maybe pregnant! :beer:
    sorry...bit of a tangent but it did include the budget!!:o
    :D
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2009 at 9:21PM
    Options
    MrsGibbs1503 - CONGRATULATIONS (on pregnancy if you are AND for being on the move again)

Well I did my little bits of grocery shopping before work and although I spent £10.80 (which takes my monthly total up to £61.77 :eek:) I am actually quite pleased with what I got for my money!!
    I got fish for tomorrow nights dinner (way too much but the fishman though he was doing me a favour giving me 2 huge fillets:rolleyes:), crisps, mini bics (not at all needed but DS likes them occaisionally), pittas, mushrooms, flour, juice and flavoured water (another non essential but I prefer to give DS sugar free drinks and this way he still thinks he gets juice:rotfl:), mandarins, toms, passata, sweeties :o, courgettes, carrots, shower gel, broccoli, parmesan and red onions:D. Not too bad I dont think.
    Also I have realised that my target is a bit squiffy for my first attempt cos my month doesnt run from the beginning of the month to the end but actually for 4 weeks from payday (changes every month due to being 4 weekly) but will plod on this time and be a bit more specific next time round.
    Well think I can safely go update my sig and make a brew :coffee:

Oh poop just before updating my sig I remembered the £3.49 I spent before I came home from work on yogs, cheese etc so better add it in :mad:
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Right - here goes

Mrsgibbs1503 - Fingers crossed
    Jo - thanks for that re jelly - gonna try it this week whilst I still have time
    Scotsaver - was the chesse mild or full flavor as we are big cheese eaters aswell
    Kiwiblue - thanks for the recipe, gonna try it over the school hols
    Lemon Verbena - thank you very much, congratson DH new job
    Julimk - I so know what you mean about the yogs and lunch boxes, I only get the tubes now and only when they are on offer - no mess now. Our MrS never seems ro reduce stuff by much so we never seem to get many bargains from them

Congrats and hugs to everyone else that I have missed
    Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business