Halifax Sharebuilder Account

Options
I have the above account and would like to dabble with buying some shares. I only want to buy small amounts, but am willing to take some risk.

I know people can't recommend specific shares, but does anyone have any pointers where I might start, to build a diverse portfolio?

Thanks
Noobie (not so :D) trying to make loads a dosh - please bear with all my questions :beer: Thanks :D

Comments

• itgirlinuk
    Options
    I have one of these accounts too. A bit restrictive, but quite good to play with tiny amount of shares.

I am not good with picking shares, but I always pick only companies that I know about. Like products I use or shops I go to and stuff like that. Apparently some share market guru said thats a good way to pick a share! But I have had more than my share of losses, but thats because I dont do all the research I should before I buy.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd have said to start with some FTSE 100 companies until recently, but that didn't work out for NRK investors...

Personally my strategy is to steer well clear of shares and go for funds instead. Much more diversity, therefore lower risk of seeing all your value disappear with a single piece of bad news blown into a media frenzy!
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'd have said to start with some FTSE 100 companies until recently, but that didn't work out for NRK investors...

Personally my strategy is to steer well clear of shares and go for funds instead. Much more diversity, therefore lower risk of seeing all your value disappear with a single piece of bad news blown into a media frenzy!

I have some funds, this is just for a little "fun" :)
    Noobie (not so :D) trying to make loads a dosh - please bear with all my questions :beer: Thanks :D

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have some funds, this is just for a little "fun" :)
    Penny shares then? ;)
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Penny shares then? ;)

I might try a few ;)

• Unless you spend a lot of time researching + reading you are best to go for funds check out https://www.h-l.co.uk for the best advise and market leading products.

I currently hold shares in the following with my reasons CGM (potential), 888 (growth), RNK (turningaround) and AL. (undervalued + dividend) https://www.digitallook.co.uk is good place to start researching.

The other thing with shares is its pretty much pointless to buy in less then 3K blocks, 1K is fine however for funds :) funds are also less of a gamble.

Its a bit more complicated then simply buying when the markets appear to be high and selling when low, as you also need to research future fortunes and security. Plus the stockmarket has a habit of being a bit mad, ie seeing a IT company with a 1million quid turn over and 100million capitalisation or a 100million assets company with a 1 mill capitalisation is not out the question. Happy hunting.
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    Halifax have an offer where you can buy shares without having to pay the £1.50. I am thinking of buying £1 worth of penny shares in different companies. Can you do this? Where can I find info about penny shares?

• Yes but it will cost you a minimum of £5.95 to sell ur 1 quid of penny shares.

The logic and methodology of what you suggest would lead me to advise you to not touch either funds or the stockmarket. You are best using savings vehicles to achieve your goals.
  • The_Fiddler_2
    Options
    Yant1 wrote: »
    Yes but it will cost you a minimum of £5.95 to sell ur 1 quid of penny shares.
    Yes, but the hope is they would be worth more than a penny by the time I sell them ;) If not I've lost a pound (I would not sell them if I was not going to make an overall gain, including covering the cost of selling them :)), I won't lose any sleep over it.
    The logic and methodology of what you suggest would lead me to advise you to not touch either funds or the stockmarket.
    What points in my post lead you to give me that advice?

You are best using savings vehicles to achieve your goals.
    :confused: I didn't mention anything about goals in my OP, but out of curiousity what savings vehicles are you sugesting?

• You have made a lot of assumptions without any real evidence. Your strategy in all probability wont make any money. Lets say a top performing penny share increases its value 20 times, but for everyone that makes it there are 100 that don't increase 6 fold to cover the sale cost. You have therefore lost 100 quid but made 15 quid.

Sounds like a clever trick to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport