Credit search when auto increase offered?

Options
Hi community,

Among others I been using a Aqua Card to improve my credit rating (8 months in the U.K.)

The Aqua card comes of cause with a ridiculous APR and I always leave about 50£ on the card so they get interest off me. I was hoping this will trigger an auto increase.

Yesterday I got a letter saying they'd like to increase the limit by 150%. I now can ask them to increase immediately or just wait some time for them to increase it.

I understand that a limit increase in general leads to better credit. Hence I'd like to take it.
The important question to me is will the increase trigger a credit search (hard pull)?
Even more important does it make any difference in the process if I tell them to increase it immediately?

As always thank you for any advice in advance.

Bests

Comments

• Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, there will not be a credit search as its the credit card company offering the increase. Aqua are quite good at increasing limits. Mine started at £450 and one year after its over £3000.
    If you want to apply their increase immediatelly just ring the number on the letter, follow the prompts until you get to the point that you "received a letter about a credit increase and want to apply it now". It is an automated process and the new limit is applied instantly.
  • FluroFrancis
    Options
    companies wont hard search you if they've offered you the increase
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Even credit cards from sub prime lenders want you to be responsible - buying and paying off in full every month shows you are a good borrower, leaving £50 on the card and paying stupid levels of interest on it doesn't achieve anything.

Also, so what if they do a credit search on you? It's not going to cause any issues, if you've only had the card 8 months it won't be long enough to build up a good credit history anyway so having them search your record just in case you had more credit elsewhere is meaningless.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    I agree its not a good thing to pay high interest on £50 because for the following month's spending you don't get the 56 day interest free period on purchases.
    You are paying a lot of interest for nothing.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remember you are paying interest not only on the £50, but also all transactions between the time you make them and when payment actually arrives.

So if you have significant spending I suspect your interest is rather more than £1 or £2.

Much better to pay the statement amount in full.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DenABac wrote: »
    I always leave about 50£ on the card so they get interest off me.

Stop doing this ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport