Confused about student loan overpayment refund

Options
Hi,

After speaking to both the SLC and HMRC I am still a little confused as to how overpayments on my student loan will be refunded to me. Call centre staff at SLC and HMRC contradict each other.

Background info
- Finished paying my student loan + overpaid around £1000 before telling them to stop taking money.
- Sent SLC pay slips etc proving I have overpaid.
- SLC confirm I have at least 'paid enough to cover the loan'

Now SLC say that HMRC will send me a refund.
HMRC say that this is incorrect and they are nothing to do with it.

Has anyone successfully received a refund? If so, can you tell me the process and timeframe it takes?

thank you so much.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is quite difficult to find anything definitive. Both of the extracts below suggest that the refund comes from SLC, but that they need confirmation of the overpayment from HMRC.

The SLC website said this in 2011:

If overpayment occurs they will be reimbursed by SLC at the end of the tax year, with interest.

http://www.slc.co.uk/media/news-archive/graduates-advised-on-repayment-options.aspx

An article in the Telegraph from March 2015 says:

If you have overpaid, contact the Student Loans Company for a refund on 0300 1000 0611. They can authorise a refund once HMRC confirms your total earnings and student loan repayments at the end of the tax year, on April 5.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/loans/11493904/Overcharged-for-your-student-loan-Tax-delays-mean-40m-is-wrongly-deducted-each-year.html
  • ennui
    ennui Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I was told to write to the SLC enclosing all my payslips for the tax year, quoting my customer reference number and giving my full name, date of birth, address and the sort code and account number of the bank account I wanted the refund paid into. They said the letter had to be signed and dated. I got a refund within about a month of doing the above. They did note, "Should there be any discrepancy when the file arrives from HMRC, we will contact you." Hmm!

Sounds like in your case they already have the information. Perhaps it would be worth writing again (you could enclose a copy of your previous letter) and requesting your refund asap.
  • Just noticed your post. I put something on a while ago for my sister but didnt get much response.

She hasnt got to end of loan but she had earned quite a bit latter part of financial year 2014/15 and so some months she ended up paying student loan (cant remmeber off top of my head - but think totallin about £500). Earnings reduced after christmas and so she ended financial year under threshold and wants to claim it back as she is bit strapped for cash - and it all helps.

She made various calls to student loans and was given different information. She was eventually told to send all her payslips (copiesa) and P60 from final employer _ she had 3 employers in total (all casual type work).

She gathered all the information - she was even told by adviser what wording to use to claim back payments. She spent extra on postage to get it there and signed for. She was told it should be processed within approx 10 days and paid into her account

She has phoned today and been told they cant accept payslips. She reminded them of the conversation she had where she had been told what to send in. She was told that the payslips could not be accepted and that she will have to wait for HMRC to inform student loans of her payments. sHe has been told that this could be as late is October/November.

Seems unfair to me that they are hanging onto her money. Also seems unfair that she spent time and money sending items following advice from student loans. If you have any tips she would appreciate. thanks
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I sent off my P60 & relevant payslips for the last 2 years, where overtime had pushed me off very the limit. I just posted them to the Glasgow address on the website with a brief request for my money back. No special letter or any requested wording, just 'Can I have my money back please '.

Got a cheque this morning for the full amount :)
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure