Debt letter through door. 8 Years old

Options
First post. So hi to all!

I’m just about to complete on our first house :p we are not far from exchanging contracts.

A little about my past. 8 years ago I had a credit card and store card and had balances at around £300 on each. Being young & stupid, I did not pay these off and ignored all letters after i moved out of my parents house.

Fast forward to now. I’ve not took out any credit of any sort except a credit card at the start of the year to improve my credit rating for the house buy.

When we first applied for a mortgage it got declined due to a British Gas default. I was unaware of this and after getting a credit report. I found out that had an unpaid bill which was immediately settled. The default is 4 years old. We tried with another Mortage provider and got accepted. This is on a 2 year deal and we will remortgage when the British Gas default has dropped off.

Now my issue! 15 days ago I received a letter from a debt collection saying they had bought a debt from MBNA and I now owe £700 to them.

4 days ago I received another letter saying that they will give me a 90% discount if I pay soon.

I’ve only had one credit card in the past and it was not with MBNA, they have also addressed the letter with the wrong spelling of my name (I have a strange name :D )

There is no sign of this debt on my credit report and it’s 8 years old.

I am unsure what to do now. For the sake of £70 I’m happy to pay this debt as I want a clean file in 2 years time for when we remortgage. If I pay this debt will it the go on my file as settled? As they have the wrong spelling of my name is this the reason that it’s not on my file? Or could there be credit fraud going on??

Sorry for the long post but thought you guys would no best!

Comments

• Gman1988 wrote: »
    As they have the wrong spelling of my name is this the reason that it’s not on my file?

Unlikely.

The more likely reason, for it not appearing on your file, is that the default dropped off your file, a year or so ago.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to get this moved to the Debt Forum, Most of the best help is there.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What sort of fraud would you expect, especially since you know that you owe the money and it matches, more or less? As it's past 6 years of default it already dropped of your file and once it happens it cannot make it way back, so no worries there, though I would wait for after completion with paying it off, just in case.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Records only stay on your credit file for 6 years, so it’s most likely dropped off years ago, and can’t return.

If you’ve not paid or acknowledged this debt in 8 years, it will be statute barred anyway, hence the Hugh discount on offer.

A statute barred letter should put this to bed, look on the national Debtline website for a template letter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Records only stay on your credit file for 6 years, so it’s most likely dropped off years ago, and can’t return.

If you’ve not paid or acknowledged this debt in 8 years, it will be statute barred anyway, hence the Hugh discount on offer.

A statute barred letter should put this to bed, look on the national Debtline website for a template letter.
    That's another way, but as OP seems happy to repay it - nothing wrong with that either; especially for just 70 quid.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is actually the OPs debt due to the misspelling. If it's a try on then no the OP shouldn't pay.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't pay it if it's not yours.

2 options.

1. Send a Statute Barred letter

2. Send a Prove-It letter - but either way it will still be Statute Barred and unenforceable
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    Just send a statute barred letter. They have 6 years to try and find you and get payment. This has long since expired.

Put it down to luck that you don’t have to repay it but learn from the future and keep on top of your debts.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Katgrit
    Katgrit Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I can, the OP isn't saying this is actually her debt.

Her only credit card wasn't with MBNA and this debt was. The name is spelt differently, so she suspects it may actually be fraud, or perhaps someone elses dent incorrectly matched to her credit file (?perhaps due to a tracing service getting the wrong credit file). She's only suggesting the pay the discounted £70 at all so she can keep her estanlished good credit record, not because it's actually her debt. There's nothing to say she's not kept on top of it.

Unless I've read it wrong!

OP, send them a "prove it" letter and dispute you owe it. Either way it's statue barred and they can't force you to pay, regardless of whether it is actually your debt.
  • danimac
    Options
    i had 2 letters 10 years ago both chasing the same debt,fca informed and havent heard anything from any agencies since,but still awaiting new agency to contact after all this time,ppi has now been claimed but no debt company involved any longer,dont know if they will come back at me but for now i have no one to send monies to,statute barred in force now/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure