Barclays Smart Investor Log In

Options
Is anyone else having trouble with the new log in procedure? I received the relevant information in the post as promised and went to log in last week (am recovering from illness which is why I have not been able to do it before now) only to be asked for certain characters from a memorable word. To my knowledge I have never set one up or been sent one and there was nowhere I could see to do this. (You’re supposed to be able to do it the first time you log in).

In the ‘help’ pages it says if you’ve forgotten it to reapply for a new passcode. I can’t see how this would help? It would only generate yet another letter and I’d be back to Square One! I’ve asked for help via their Facebook Messenger page but apparently it’s too complicated and every time I try to phone them there’s a queue of around half an hour.

Anyone help?

Comments

• taylornj
    taylornj Posts: 296 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've have trouble since they changed over from barclaystockbrokers to smart investor, and I'm going to switch to a new providers - it really is that bad, worse is yet to come once you do manage to login.

I've had bogus transactions dividends paid by mistake, and then cancelled, strange transactions. There has been many complains, and the hour queue is likely not trading but just problems and complaints.

I've had browsers working one day the next day they stopped working, as they improve the systems.

Now down to one working machine i don't want to be using, as it's an old Windows XP machine. Barclays Smart Investor is the only site I have problems with, all the other banking site work fine.

I could but don't use the memorable word, another of the great Barclays Smart investor site things is it's tied into their online banking, so I opened a current account and use the card reader/PINSentry because otherwise your locked out of some features, including e-mails from Barclays I appeared to have, anyway once I could see there subject - term and conditions, I tried opening the message which failed even with a current account and PINSentry.

Welcome to one of the worst website developments ever.

Oh and the telephone queue for me was only 1/2 hour back when I tried, and took 4hours to get through. Just kept on repeating the same waiting time. Make sure you use a free phone number.

To answer the question, I was prompted for a memorable word to start with.

Other experiences, and links if you search these forums, or try this one

http://moneyforums.citywire.co.uk/yaf_postst4564p20_Disaster-at-Barclays-Stockbrokers.aspx
  • MargUK
    MargUK Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Oh God - this doesn’t bode well! Thanks for letting me know - I’ll be very wary - that’s if I ever get in of course!!
  • dividendhero
    Options
    I did eventually manage to login to "Smart Investor", but got locked out again few weeks later .

I've been with them right back to the Sharelink/Schwab days, over twenty years and it's been overall good, but now had a belly full of being mucked around and transferring both my ISA and Marketmaster
  • MargUK
    Options
    Can either of you suggest another provider I could switch to? I’m not really interested in trading - I was left some shares by an aunt and I’m really looking for somewhere I can keep them and have easy access to the dividends. My health is not too great just now so I can do without extra hassle at the moment! I don’t really know enough about the market to make an informed decision in the same way as I would with a current, savings account or an ISA. Hope that makes sense!
  • dividendhero
    Options
    MargUK wrote: »
    Can either of you suggest another provider I could switch to? I’m not really interested in trading - I was left some shares by an aunt and I’m really looking for somewhere I can keep them and have easy access to the dividends. My health is not too great just now so I can do without extra hassle at the moment! I don’t really know enough about the market to make an informed decision in the same way as I would with a current, savings account or an ISA. Hope that makes sense!

I've got accounts with Halifax & HL. HL is clear winner in terms of service, but not cheap - Halifax service pretty good and charges reasonable.

If you're not trading much, I'd go for Halifax
  • MargUK
    Options
    Ok thanks so much for your help! :)
  • helsbells17
    Options
    I did eventually manage to login to "Smart Investor", but got locked out again few weeks later .

I've been with them right back to the Sharelink/Schwab days, over twenty years and it's been overall good, but now had a belly full of being mucked around and transferring both my ISA and Marketmaster

Sorry I know this is jumping on the thread about but I'm wondering if you can help.
    I've been trying to trace what happened to shares purchased by my deceased father in law through Sharelink back in 1988. He passed away in 1990.
    I searched on here for Sharelink and found this post and I wondered if you may be able to shed any light on what happened to Sharelink accounts when Schwab took over? I've tried contacting Barclays but they can find no trace of his account, and as Schwab no longer trade in the UK I'm not sure if it's even worth trying them!
    Thank you so much if you have any ideas :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure