Changing Name by Deed Poll

Options
CharlieRabbit01
CharlieRabbit01 Posts: 1,246 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
Hi

I have downloaded the forms from the gov.uk website and had them signed by witnesses, but i'm confused on what to do next?

Do i just send the form and a cheque to the address here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

I am separated from my husband and want to change my bank, driving licence and doctors back to my maiden name, everything I didnt actually change.

Comments

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need any forms. Just let the organisations know that you'll be using your previous name from X date.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Save your pennies. You didn't lose your maiden name when you married, it's still yours to use, all you need to do it tell anyone relevant that you're reverting to your maiden name and use your birth cert as proof of that name if required.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This....
    Save your pennies. You didn't lose your maiden name when you married, it's still yours to use, all you need to do it tell anyone relevant that you're reverting to your maiden name and use your birth cert as proof of that name if required.

You didn't lose your birth name when you started using your married name, just acquired another one. There is nothing you need to do to revert back - just tell people.
  • CharlieRabbit01
    Options
    oh ok, well my passport is still in my maiden name.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oh ok, well my passport is still in my maiden name.

Excellent, that's all you need!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Most places you can just tell them. I'm not sure about driving licence - with a passport you can change the detail if you write requesting it and sending your Decree Absolute and birth certificate.
    Every organisation has its own rules, but showing you are the same person (e.g. marriage certificate + decree absolute, showing the previous changes of name) is often enough.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure