DLA changing to Attendance Allowance

Options
At coffee type morning I was privy to conversation. Older lady said she received DLA for a number of years and had been told that she could keep it until asked to apply for Attendance Allowance.

She said she had been told she would probably not be eligible for Attendance Allowance because of different qualifying criteria. Most of the 7 or 8 folk at the table who commented (I did not comment) agreed she was entitled to keep DLA in the meantime. One strong minded person said that as she was nearly 70 she should give up the DLA now and not apply for Attendance Allowance because that was the right allowance for her age and she would not be eligible for it

Since she is still eligible for DLA the majority at the table sided with her saying she was rightly entitled to keep the DLA for now. The opinionated person took exception. Do you think the lady should keep quiet until she is asked to change when, as the majority think, she need not apply for Attendance Allowance if, as she says she has been told, she will not meet qualifying criteria for the Attendance Allowance. In her position I would not have brought the subject up with a mixed group I did not really know too well.

I won't be going back but I'm interested to know what experienced people think.

Thanks.

Retired at 55

Comments

• mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I think she will, and should, continue to get DLA. As I understand it you can't apply for DLA after retirement age, well no one can now but before DLA was replaced by PIP or whatever, but you continue to receive it.

I think people who have maybe been getting DLA for years are disadvantaged by their health conditions and should be able to continue.

"strong minded" person is probably jealous.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • emmsie123
    Options
    She wont be asked to claim attendance allowance as once your 65 you stay on dla.
    Attendance allowance is for new claims over 65.
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    emmsie123 wrote: »
    She wont be asked to claim attendance allowance as once your 65 you stay on dla.

If I see her I'll let her know because she seemed to think she would be asked to apply for Attendance Allowance instead of her present DLA at some point.

Thanks.

Retired at 55
  • missblue
    Options
    emmsie123 wrote: »

As I understand it, this is under the old rules of DLA. DLA no longer exists (except for under 16 year olds) and all DLA claimants are being asked to change to PIP (eventually everyone above 16 years old are getting letters stating they have to make a new claim for PIP, if you don't claim PIP your DLA is being cancelled 4 weeks later, if you put in a claim for PIP you keep the DLA until a decision is made about PIP). Because of your friends age she will not be eligible to make a new claim for PIP so her letter will be inviting to apply for attendance allowance.

Yes she should keep her DLA until the letter arrives for her to change over to the new benefit system. (the only people who should give up their DLA is fraudulent claimants)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    missblue wrote: »
    As I understand it, this is under the old rules of DLA. DLA no longer exists (except for under 16 year olds) and all DLA claimants are being asked to change to PIP (eventually everyone above 16 years old are getting letters stating they have to make a new claim for PIP, if you don't claim PIP your DLA is being cancelled 4 weeks later, if you put in a claim for PIP you keep the DLA until a decision is made about PIP). Because of your friends age she will not be eligible to make a new claim for PIP so her letter will be inviting to apply for attendance allowance.

Yes she should keep her DLA until the letter arrives for her to change over to the new benefit system. (the only people who should give up their DLA is fraudulent claimants)

What happens if you are getting the mobility element of DLA? There isn't an equivalent element in AA so will the over-65s now lose that money?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    What happens if you are getting the mobility element of DLA? There isn't an equivalent element in AA so will the over-65s now lose that money?
    If you're 65 and over and you already claim DLA you'll stay on it and won't ever be reasessed even if your condition gets worse. If someone gets mobility then the same applies for this.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If you're 65 and over and you already claim DLA you'll stay on it and won't ever be reasessed even if your condition gets worse. If someone gets mobility then the same applies for this.

I know that's what happens now but missblue says that's going to change.
    missblue wrote: »

• anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those people already aged 65 or over (on 8 April 2013) will not be reassessed for PIP, and will remain on DLA as long as they continue to satisfy the eligibility criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/223044/turning_65s.pdf

Miss blue is wrong. See link
  • vlad
    vlad Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with anmarj,however there is a suspicion that once they have transferred all the 16-64 year olds to PIP then they will scrap the mobility component part of dla for over 65s to bring it more into line with AA which has no mobility component
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, missblue is misinformed.
    and wrong.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport