PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping toilets unblocked

Options
13»

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When we lived on a yacht, the rule was that anything could be flushed down provided you ate it first.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    I've found that pouring a few buckets of very hot water down the bowl can help relieve any blockages.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) The premium brands of tp dissolve more slowly than thinner stuff, and this can be the cause of blockages. Wet wipes are a huge problem; there are far too many people treating the WC as if it's some kind of wet dustbin.

I raise repairs on council houses as part of my job and have done so for years. I always ask if there are young children living in or visiting the house when the loo blocks, as the little darlings can put some completely random stuff down the pan, like soft toys in placcy bags. Mind you, so can adults, plumbers can tell you some tales...........:rotfl:

Another thing which can happen is someone gets a nosebleed and mops it up with kitchen roll and flushes that. KR is less water soluable than loo roll and is likely to cause blockages. And there are still some nitwits who ram disposable nappies down the loo, very galling if you share a sewer line with them and the waste backs up through your loo as a result.:mad:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    On a related note, has anyone else noticed how susceptible office loos seem to be to blocking these days?

I have a feeling the environmentally friendly "light flush" feature they're fitted with these days doesn't help ...
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ours blocks frequently because our 10 year old daughter uses far too much on each visit. We just let the water slowly go down, then put on a disposable glove and push the blockage while flushing, then dispose of glove and wash hands thoroughly! No matter how many times we tell her to use less she doesn't listen.
  • Justamum
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Mind you, so can adults, plumbers can tell you some tales...........:rotfl:

My husband is an electrician and works with other trades too. One of them told him recently that he had to unblock a public toilet and found a pair of men's underpants shoved down the loo! It appears that someone had a 'number 2' accident so thought he'd flush all the evidence away:D I think you need a very strong stomach to be a plumber.
  • Justamum
    Options
    Sometimes when it is blocked but water is getting through you can tip a bucket of water down fairly quickly, that can be just enough to help the blockage on its way. For some reason it has more force behind it than a normal flush.

I've heard that. Apparently you have to pour it quickly from a height (chest height or similar) though rather than a gentle pour at rim level as that creates most pressure.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flaming low-flow toilets eh? There's a contradiction in terms.

If they aren't constantly dribbling down the pan, they are requiring to be flushed twice after a 'heavy load' as the water remains brown after the first flush.

I've been scouring Ebay for an old 2 gallon flush toilet in my area, but everyone seems to have low flow ones nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure