Credit scores not matching?

Options
Experian Credit score via MSE and Experian themselves are different.

906 on Experian
999 on MSE Credit Club.

Why is this different..?

Thanks!

Comments

• ukamber1
    ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Luke_Rick wrote: »

906 on Experian
    999 on MSE Credit Club.

Why is this different..?

Thanks!

All the credit agencies have different ways of scoring your credit file. I check all my credit files (Experian, Equifax and Noddle) and all 3 give me different scores. I really wouldnt worry too much about the scoring. Lenders dont see this score and will have their own individual way of rating you.....I never check my credit files to see what score I have, its just important to check all the information is correct and up to date. The 906 score you see on Experian, should just be used as a guide, just to give you an idea of how well you are managing your credit agreements but are not a guarantee for getting credit....maybe MSE are just using a different system to rate you? Or take a little longer to update?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would a pack of biscuits help with the softening of the blow ?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ukamber1 wrote: »
    All the credit agencies have different ways of scoring your credit file. I check all my credit files (Experian, Equifax and Noddle) and all 3 give me different scores. I really wouldnt worry too much about the scoring. Lenders dont see this score and will have their own individual way of rating you.....I never check my credit files to see what score I have, its just important to check all the information is correct and up to date. The 906 score you see on Experian, should just be used as a guide, just to give you an idea of how well you are managing your credit agreements but are not a guarantee for getting credit....maybe MSE are just using a different system to rate you? Or take a little longer to update?

MSE give the Experian credit score
  • ukamber1
    ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    MSE give the Experian credit score

thanks glentoran99.....I'm not a member of the MSE service so wasnt sure how it worked...Am I right in thinking, MSE is to Experian, like Noddle is to Callcredit or Clearscore to Equifax?

thanks again
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ukamber1 wrote: »
    thanks glentoran99.....I'm not a member of the MSE service so wasnt sure how it worked...Am I right in thinking, MSE is to Experian, like Noddle is to Callcredit or Clearscore to Equifax?

thanks again

Yes MSE use Experian's "Credit Score" as part of the Credit Club service.

However this is why it's worth taking with a pinch of salt... Both Lloyds Bank and Tesco Bank have written to me recently informing of credit limit increases.

Experian deem me as 'poor'. If that's the case then you'd have thought I'd be seeing limit decreases!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Superscrooge
    Options
    Luke_Rick wrote: »

906 on Experian
    999 on MSE Credit Club.

Why is this different..?

Thanks!

I can access my Experian Credit Score via my Barclaycard and via MSE Credit Club. Last week they were giving different numbers. Now they are both giving the same number. I think these differences are probably due to MSE Credit Club only updating monthly and so if your score has recently changed it takes time for the update to feed through.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Different times can affect the score calculation, things like whether payments have reached accounts and the effect that has on balances. there are also a range of different scores available for each brand and MSE and Experian might be using different versions of their score.

For existing customers it's actual performance that matters more than shared credit scores and this can produce limit or interest rate changes even with a central score moving in the opposite direction. The choice to offer existing customer money transfer or balance transfer deals and the terms of those can also change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure