Clothing retailers

Options
Hello all

My Mum who's in in her 70's often complains that it's getting harder and harder for her to buy suitable clothing that she likes.
The popular High Street shops (including M&S) often cater for the younger market of shopper.
She never wears trousers and often prefers the on piece style dress. Often the items available are too short, too thin material, low cut or have thin straps.
I'm thinking there must be a company or two online that caters for her and others. Or, are there catalogue companies that send items by post?

Does anyone here have any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in my 70s too. How about East or Cos? I get a lot of stuff from the mail order company Wall clothing, but it's a bit more expensive.
  • hostertlady
    hostertlady Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    have you got a Bon marche shop nearby?
    I often get some nice things for my mum from there
    x
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,964 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bon marche is good, found in many towns.
    Boundary stores, If there's one nearby, has vast choice. It is out of town.
    Also Klass, Roman for more dressy occasions. In some cities, also at retail parks.
    Double Two factory shop has a big range, including Klass and a Roman, all at very reasonable prices.
    I agree it is not easy to find suitable clothes on the High Street, especially with sleeves, and/or a collar, and long enough too.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Damart, the mail order firm, would probably suit her.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • square_bear
    square_bear Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    There are some things in Bon Marche she likes, but it depends on seasons, I think.
    I will take her out to have a look at some of the suggestions mentioned and show her the websites, too.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    There are some things in Bon Marche she likes, but it depends on seasons, I think.
    I will take her out to have a look at some of the suggestions mentioned and show her the websites, too.
    Bon Marche send postal brochures with vouchers and discounts if you sign up for their card. Might be useful for Mum to preview before taking her there?;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 June 2015 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I am 64 and like your mum I like to dress in a fairly formal way, although I do wear trousers and jeans. I find I can dress them up with a smart tailored jacket or or for a more casual look with a nice sweater or cardi.

And of course a trouser suit can look very chic.

A good idea is to look at pictures of older actresses etc and get your mum to talk about which ones she thinks look nice and what styles she would like to emulate.

Actors like Judi Dench and Jane Fonda, are in their 70's, Honour Blackman in her 80s. They all look great and definitely not "mutton dressed as lamb".

A lot will depend on her budget of course and her size.

Edinburgh Woollen Mill do nice smart separates and arent too expensive. CC (used to be Country Casuals) might appeal although they are a bit more pricey..Then there is Alexon, Windsmoor, Jaegar, Jules Vert., Planet, Klass. None of them are cheap but they all have good sales, and they do tend to use good fabrics and they do "timeless Classic" styles which might appeal to your mum.

Do you live near any of the Outlet Villages, they make a good day out because they have all the brands that I have mentioned, usually quite heavily discounted, and they usually have a food court so you can have lunch and make a day of it.

Tbh I find Bon Marche very disappointing, they are not particularly cheap and they use a lot of of nasty synthetic flimsy fabrics and garish colours.

I agree that the high street doesn't really cater for an older clientele - they chase youth. I think that's a big mistake and they are missing a trick because it's often older women who have the most money to spend......

I agree you are probably much better off looking at the retail parks and the outlet villages.

Ps just had another thought. A lot of garden centres now have clothing concessions, I often buy bits from them, usually when they are on sale.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's a catalogue/online shop called Fifty Plus. I've not bought anything but some of the clothes look really good and not at all old fashioned.

Since I stopped working I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, I trail round charity shops and have found some real bargains. Eg Ann Harvey silk/linen jacket never worn - £7.50, M & S merino cardigan never worn - £5. The money I save goes to pay for decent underwear and shoes from Clarks Village or Atlantic Village. I also bought a beautiful soft leather handbag from Clarks for £20.:j
  • JayneABC
    JayneABC Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Square Bear, I like Bon Marche like the other ladies. Have you tried your high street for little shops with nice items? Sometimes the smaller places have better clothes than the big chain shops
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure